Velocity Reviews

-   -   Customising Swing JTextField (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t388536-customising-swing-jtextfield.html)

David 11-11-2006 07:33 PM

Customising Swing JTextField

Hi,

Im trying to create a custom text box. What I have done is inherited
from the JTextField class, and attached key listeners. However,
obviously swing is calling my listeners then processing the JTextFields
ones. Without using the formatter etc... I want to block key events
from being processed by JTextField. Any ideas how I can achieve this?
Ive tried looking at the source, but just cant seem to find any way to
do this apart from Key-Binding every key on the keyboard, which seems
insane. Im sure theres something easy im missing.

Thanks for the help

David

Richard Wheeldon 11-11-2006 09:05 PM

Re: Customising Swing JTextField

David wrote:
> Im trying to create a custom text box. Without using the formatter etc...

Why? What's wrong with JFormattedTextField?

Richard

hiwa 11-12-2006 03:25 AM

David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to create a custom text box. What I have done is inherited
> from the JTextField class, and attached key listeners. However,
> obviously swing is calling my listeners then processing the JTextFields
> ones. Without using the formatter etc... I want to block key events
> from being processed by JTextField. Any ideas how I can achieve this?
> Ive tried looking at the source, but just cant seem to find any way to
> do this apart from Key-Binding every key on the keyboard, which seems
> insane. Im sure theres something easy im missing.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> David

Yours may be DocumentFilter's job.

Kenneth P. Turvey 11-12-2006 03:48 AM