Velocity Reviews

-   -   packet generator (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t38801-packet-generator.html)

R Siffredi 04-18-2005 09:45 PM

packet generator

It is possilble using the router extended ping command to genrate traffic equivalent to 1Mbps, say in use of testing a policy map or something.
I am interested in if it is possbile to determine a exact amount from the router,

tx

Brad 04-19-2005 03:14 AM

Re: packet generator

R Siffredi wrote:
> It is possilble using the router extended ping command to genrate

traffic equivalent to 1Mbps, say in use of testing a policy map or
something.
> I am interested in if it is possbile to determine a exact amount from

the router,

> tx

Use it and then see what the load on the interface was with the show
interface command.

anybody43@hotmail.com 04-19-2005 11:10 AM

Re: packet generator

You can control the amount of traffic generated by
varying the "Datagram size". There are limits to the amount
of control that you have since there is a minimum size to the
packet and since the router waits to receive one ping before
sending another, on a duplex medium you are limited to
about 50% of the bandwidth. This will be further reduced is the
path round trip time is not small.

You can get higher traffic levels by running more than one ping
simultaneously in different vty sessions.

Clearly there are limits to the amount of traffic that can be generated
depending on the router CPU.

There are commercial tools that will accomplish wat you want.
Smartbits.

Spencer Teran 04-19-2005 04:45 PM

Re: packet generator

You might want to take a look at IP Load
(http://www.bttsoftware.co.uk/ipload.html). It's freeware that does a
great job at generating test traffic. I use it regularly to test CoS
profiles and verify IP call audio quality.

Cheers,
Spencer Teran

anybody43@hotmail.com 04-19-2005 07:22 PM

Re: packet generator