Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco 350 - how do I config WPA/PSK? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t38134-cisco-350-how-do-i-config-wpa-psk.html)

Peter 03-09-2005 03:50 PM

Cisco 350 - how do I config WPA/PSK?

Hi,

I hope somebody can help. I am sure this is just "terminology".

I have a couple of Draytek 2900 Gi routers with wifi, and have their
wifi setup for what Draytek call "WPA/PSK, encryption mode TKIP" and
one enters just a single passphrase.

This works with various laptops e.g. Sony 505 (internal wifi) and a
few with the Linksys PCMCIA WPC54G wifi card whose config has a
"WPA/PSK" option too.

Now I have the Cisco 350 series mini-PCI card (and also the PCMCIA
version of it) in a couple of laptops and the Cisco software (Aironet
Client Utility v6.4.05) and it uses different terminology and despite
trying different options I can't get it to work.

Under the Network Security tab, I see

checkbox for WPA

under it some options:

None
LEAP
EAP-FAST
Host-based EAP (802.1x)

Data Encryption

None
Static WEP

AP authentication

Open
Shared Key

Which options do I use to do simple WPA/PSK/TKIP?

It works fine for simple WEP, where I select NONE under
Authentication, and Static WEP under Data Encryption, and enter the
WEP passphrase under Static WEP Keys

I should add that with these wifi cards the security settings are
configured in the Cisco software, whereas with every other wifi
adaptor I have used the WPA settings are done in XP - except the
Linksys one where they are again done in the Linksys software. Maybe
that's the problem here? I certainly found that with the Cisco 350
setting plain WEP in XP doesn't work - it has to be done in the Cisco
software.

Any pointers much appreciated!

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1124@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Aaron Leonard 03-09-2005 11:15 PM

Re: Cisco 350 - how do I config WPA/PSK?

With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
for WPA-PSK.

I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

Aaron

---

~ Hi,
~

Peter 03-09-2005 11:38 PM

Re: Cisco 350 - how do I config WPA/PSK?

>With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
>configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
>for WPA-PSK.

How should I config the ACU in this case?

The ACU supports "profiles" and each profile can be edited to specify
the access point SSID and many other things like whether the adaptor
should use just the primary antenna or both.

Should I config a single profile in the ACU which is wide open, and do
the rest in XP?

Where does the ACU security config sit in relation to the security
config in XP?

>I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
>than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
>typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
>WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

I probably didn't understand the interaction of the two places where
security is potentially configured. How does this work? It is possible
that if one configures the static WEP in the ACU, the setting is then
copied into XP's wireless security config.

I do know that for plain no-security LAN access the Cisco adaptor
works without installing any Cisco software, but I had to install the
ACU to specify the usage of just one antenna (necessary in this case).

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Peter 03-10-2005 12:36 PM

Cisco 350 ACU versus WinXP network config

Aaron Leonard <Aaron@Cisco.COM> wrote

>With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
>configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
>for WPA-PSK.
>
>I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
>than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
>typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
>WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

After a lot more messing about, I am beginning to understand how it
*might* be working.

The Cisco ACU enables the network config, including security, to be
configured entirely within itself. It then presents the data
(decrypted if e.g. WEP was enabled in the ACU) to Windows. In this
case, Windows doesn't report any wireless connection as active; it
sees just a ordinary network connection. Windows doesn't even detect
the network, while the ACU shows Connected in its Status tab.

The Windows XP wireless config duplicates some of the ACU features,
and adds many more obscure authentication etc features.

Now the key:

The ACU has a radio button called something like "let Windows manage
the network config".

Win XP has a similar button called something like "let another device
manage the network config".

The two settings above appear to determine where the settings are
made.

So, let's say I am on a plain WEP network. I can set this up either in
the ACU (by creating and editing a profile) and then Windows doesn't
see the network connection as a wireless one, or I can set this up in
the WinXP wireless network config, and then the ACU Status tab doesn't
show an association with a network!

I still can't get WPA/PSK to work though. I have now been told that it
cannot be done in the ACU, but for some reason I can't find the option
under the XP wireless settings either. This is XP Pro Tablet
edition...

I think I do need to use the ACU to *some* extent because that's the
only place I can specify the use of the primary antenna only.

Is the above right?

Aaron Leonard 03-10-2005 11:35 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:38:09 +0000 (UTC), Peter <nobody@nowhere1295.com> wrote:

~
~ >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
~ >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
~ >for WPA-PSK.
~
~ How should I config the ACU in this case?
~
~ The ACU supports "profiles" and each profile can be edited to specify
~ the access point SSID and many other things like whether the adaptor
~ should use just the primary antenna or both.
~
~ Should I config a single profile in the ACU which is wide open, and do
~ the rest in XP?
~
~ Where does the ACU security config sit in relation to the security
~ config in XP?

You can use either ACU or XP WZC to configure your SSID/security
stuff and you can flip back and forth between your ACU profiles
and your WZC config.

I do it by right-clicking the little green (or yellow or red or
gray) Aironet "ACM" (acumon.exe) icon in the taskbar. To use
WZC, select Select Profile -> Use other configuration application.

This should give you the idea:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801d2f28.html

Aaron

---

Aaron Leonard 03-10-2005 11:44 PM

Re: Cisco 350 ACU versus WinXP network config

OK good, sounds like you're on the right path.
Now you just need to configure WPA-PSK in XP (SP2
would be recommended.)

You can find a walkthrough at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx

Regards,

Aaron

---

~
~ Aaron Leonard <Aaron@Cisco.COM> wrote
~
~ >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
~ >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
~ >for WPA-PSK.
~ >