Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to set a Static route in an 837 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t38091-how-to-set-a-static-route-in-an-837-a.html)

S W 03-07-2005 08:38 PM

how to set a Static route in an 837

Hi,

Is it possible to set a static route in a 837 ADSL router?
I mean, the 837 is used as a default gateway on the LAN, providing Internet
access, and also used for PAT on a server.

Can I use it to divert a route traffic for a range of IP addresses to
another router that will be used for a permanent VPN to link two sites?

I've looked at the CRWS program, and can't see a place to enter a static
route. However I am not familiar with the command line interface, and would
like to know if and how to accomplish what I want using CLI.

Thanks in advance

SW

RobO 03-07-2005 09:07 PM

Re: how to set a Static route in an 837

Hi,

Yes definitely its possible!

I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
from the command line.
Are you able to logon via command line???
You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
statement like this:
<
router#config terminal
router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1

Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
above is just a guide.
The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
[hops/metric]

Rob

S W 03-07-2005 09:39 PM

"RobO" <roboravec@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110229660.342882.185650@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Yes definitely its possible!
>
> I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
> from the command line.
> Are you able to logon via command line???
> You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
> statement like this:
> <
> router#config terminal
> router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
>>

> Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
> above is just a guide.
> The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
> [hops/metric]
>
> Rob

Hi,
I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm guessing
that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and that will be
what you've called dialer1 in the example.
What is [hops/metric]?

Thanks S

AM 03-07-2005 10:21 PM

S W wrote:
> "RobO" <roboravec@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1110229660.342882.185650@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Yes definitely its possible!
>>
>>I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
>>from the command line.
>>Are you able to logon via command line???
>>You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
>>statement like this:
>><
>>router#config terminal
>>router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
>>
>>Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
>>above is just a guide.
>>The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
>>[hops/metric]
>>
>>Robas

> Hi,
> I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm guessing
> that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and that will be
> what you've called dialer1 in the example.
> What is [hops/metric]?
>
> Thanks S

Say you have a LAN with 192.168.0.0/24 and your router has 192.168.0.1 and you have another device,
say 192.168.0.254, used as VPN endpoint between 2 nets linked via tunnel. Say the other LAN, behind
the other VPN endpoint, is 192.168.10.0/24.
In this environment the statemenent you should add to your 837 is

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 1

in config mode
The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass through before reaching
the next hop.

HTH,
Alex.

Tom 03-07-2005 11:12 PM

Re: how to set a Static route in an 837

> The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
> through before reaching the next hop.

Erm ... no!

If I had these two statements:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20

Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers away?

AM 03-08-2005 08:10 AM

Tom wrote:
>>The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
>>through before reaching the next hop.

> Erm ... no!
>
> If I had these two statements:
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20
>
> Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers away?

Uhmmmm... yes I saw these kind of metric in windows route. I feel in doubt. Have you a correct definition of hop/metric?
Or perhaps it indicates only a cost to reach the network specified?

Alex.

S W 03-08-2005 10:18 PM

"AM" <Alex@AM.AM> wrote in message
>S W wrote:
>> "RobO" <roboravec@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1110229660.342882.185650@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Yes definitely its possible!
>>>
>>>I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
>>>from the command line.
>>>Are you able to logon via command line???
>>>You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
>>>statement like this:
>>><
>>>router#config terminal
>>>router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
>>>
>>>Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
>>>above is just a guide.
>>>The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
>>>[hops/metric]
>>>
>>>Robas

>> Hi,
>> I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm
>> guessing that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and
>> that will be what you've called dialer1 in the example.
>> What is [hops/metric]?
>>
>> Thanks S

> Say you have a LAN with 192.168.0.0/24 and your router has 192.168.0.1 and
> you have another device, say 192.168.0.254, used as VPN endpoint between 2
> nets linked via tunnel. Say the other LAN, behind the other VPN endpoint,
> is 192.168.10.0/24.
> In this environment the statemenent you should add to your 837 is
>
> ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 1
>
> in config mode
> The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
> through before reaching the next hop.
>
> HTH,
> Alex.

Hi,

Thanks to all for your help on this one.
What I forgot to say at the start was that when I've used the 837 to set the
static route, I still need to use it exactly as I'm using it at the moment,
that is, for Internet access, PAT, and remote access via VPN.
Will setting the static route affect the router's other functions?

Regards

S W

Tom 03-08-2005 11:20 PM

"AM" <am@am.am> wrote in message
> Tom wrote:
>>>The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
>>>through before reaching the next hop.

>> Erm ... no!
>>
>> If I had these two statements:
>>
>> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
>> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20
>>
>> Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers
>> away?

> Uhmmmm... yes I saw these kind of metric in windows route. I feel in
> doubt. Have you a correct definition of hop/metric? Or perhaps it
> indicates only a cost to reach the network specified?
>
> Alex.

It defines the desireability of the route. If I have these two routes and
then the one with the lowest administrative distance will be chosen
providing that the next hop is available. If that route goes down then the
next lowest value is used, basically speaking.

It has nothing to do with 'how many routers' there are between this router
and the destination. The local router is only concerned with the next
hop/interface.