Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tutorial or book recommendations please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t380575-tutorial-or-book-recommendations-please.html)

Sheridan 10-11-2006 02:43 PM

Tutorial or book recommendations please

Dear Group,
I've searched the newsgroup for the last few days and can't seem to find
a thread regarding the best tutorials. I've learned programming in C, VB
(version 6) and PHP but can't seem to understand ASP.Net or VB.Net
(their web-type programming). Gone to the Microsoft site with the
tutorials in video format but still can't 'get it'. Not sure what all
the files are that need to be deployed nor even the actual model(MVC?)
that the apps use.

Anyway, if anyone can point to some good books or websites, it would be
appreciated. Sorry if this is redundant or not the right newsgroup.

Thanks for reading,
Sheridan

Darren Kopp 10-11-2006 02:45 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Anything from Scott Mitchell or Fritz Onion are great. If you are
getting heavy into ASP.Net then books by Dino Espositio are great as
well.

-Darren Kopp

Chris Fulstow 10-11-2006 02:47 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Have you tried these videos?
http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/defa...d=63#beginners

Or try the ASP.NET QuickStart tutorials:
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStar...t/Default.aspx

Juan T. Llibre 10-11-2006 02:47 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Try this one :

http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tuto...20/default.htm

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================

Uriah Piddle 10-11-2006 03:26 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

'Asp.Net 2.0 Website Programming Problem-Design-Solution' by Marco Bellinaso
teaches you by guiding you through a fairly extensive asp 2.0 app. The book
assumes you have a working knowledge of Asp and C# which I did not have at
all but I got enough in a week by reading one of the good introductory books
('Pro Asp.Net 2.0 in C# 2005' by MacDonald And Szpuszta). When I come to a
part where I need more help with C#, I just go back to MacDonald And
Szpuszta and learn some more.

I come from a VB6 background and was apprehensive at first. I started 2
months ago and now feel quite confident and at home. The angle of the
learning curve has been exaggerated. The strength of the Bellinaso book is
that it forces you to learn how the sample website works as opposed to doing
excersizes. Another thing is that Bellinaso's design is architecturally
well-informed so you will learn good design habits as well.

Sheridan 10-11-2006 04:19 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Juan,
Thanks to everyone but yes, have tried that tutorial and just can't seem
to get the 'dataset' reader thing part. I'm sure it's just my lack of
understanding because it all seems so 'wizard-like' that it confuses me.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sheridan

Sheridan 10-11-2006 04:21 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Chris,
Yes, I have and maybe I'm just approaching it all from another angle.
What I mean is that I'm sure it's my perspective because everyone else
in school keeps talking about how great and easy it is (ASP.Net) and I'm
still finding it incomprehensible.

I'll give them another go this weekend and thanks again.

Sheridan

Sheridan 10-11-2006 04:22 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Uriah,
Thanks for the book info and tips. I'll see what I can get here at the
school's bookstore or Amazon.

Sheridan

Sheridan 10-11-2006 04:23 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Darren,
I'm going to give that a search online at Amazon and also the book Uriah
recommends.

Thanks for the help/tips,
Sheridan

tdavisjr 10-11-2006 04:37 PM

Re: Tutorial or book recommendations please

Sheridan,

If you really want to learn ASP.NET and how it works, I suggest you stay
away from the wizards and IDE. Yes, that means Visual Studio or Visual Web
Developer as well. When I started, I used a simple text editor to learn the
basics. Once, I got the basics down pack, I graduated to using IDE's since
they will improve your productivity. Its like trying to drive, if you don't
know how to even walk. Its possible, but it will take a little more time and
effort. ASP.NET UnLeashed and Teach yourself ASP.NET in 24 hrs (1st ed) are
some books to start with.