Velocity Reviews

-   -   CrcAlign-Err and Fragments (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t38050-crcalign-err-and-fragments.html)

switchctidude 03-05-2005 07:56 AM

CrcAlign-Err and Fragments

Doew anyone want to take a shot at this one? This is one of our uplink
ports to another 100MB/Full network switch uplink. I don't know where
to start if somebody could get me started.

C4506#show int fa 2/2 coun err

Port CrcAlign-Err Dropped-Bad-Pkts Collisions Symbol-Err
Fa2/2 28053 0 0 0

Port Undersize Oversize Fragments Jabbers
Fa2/2 0 0 12267 0

Port Single-Col Multi-Col Late-Col Excess-Col
Fa2/2 0 0 0 0

Port Deferred-Col False-Car Carri-Sen Sequence-Err
Fa2/2 0 0 0 0

Merv 03-05-2005 01:51 PM

Re: CrcAlign-Err and Fragments

If you are using auto-negiotiation, then try explicitly configuring
speed and duplex so that they match on both end. Then clear the
counters for the interfaces in question, run some traffic thru and then
recheck counters

anybody43@hotmail.com 03-06-2005 03:07 PM

Re: CrcAlign-Err and Fragments

I agree.

CRC, Align, and fragments are what would
be expected on the FD end of a FD-HD mis-smatch.

The other end usually sees Late Collisions.

I have seen equipment lie about the duplex settings
(not cisco) so I now just look at the counters.
Of course they may be wrong too.

Ports operating at FD do not (usually?) report collisions
since they never happen in FD ethernet.

Finally Note:-

FD ===---- Auto guarantees a mis-match for
standards compliant devices.

I am a bit lacking now in up to date experience
however I now feel that in a network that is _not
-constantly-overseen_ by conscientious experts
the best thing to do would be to set everything to
Auto and, if that did not work in some instance, to
use HD. I would avoid if at all possible setting anything
to FD since it seems to me to be just asking
for a mis-match to occur.

Hats on - flames incoming! :)

Hansang Bae 03-06-2005 09:17 PM

Re: CrcAlign-Err and Fragments

anybody43@hotmail.com wrote:
[snip]
> I am a bit lacking now in up to date experience
> however I now feel that in a network that is _not
> -constantly-overseen_ by conscientious experts
> the best thing to do would be to set everything to
> Auto and, if that did not work in some instance, to
> use HD. I would avoid if at all possible setting anything
> to FD since it seems to me to be just asking
> for a mis-match to occur.
>
> Hats on - flames incoming! :)

These days, I'd tend to agree. In earlier days, AN didn't quite do
"auto" anything! But these days, auto-auto on end user ports is a way
to go. On 100Base-T networking equipment, it's best to hard code it.
(router to switch etc.) But note that on 1000Base-T, auto negotiation
is a requirement.

--

hsb