Velocity Reviews

-   -   voip for my company (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t379688-voip-for-my-company.html)

billfaith 11-14-2006 04:31 PM

voip for my company

I work for a company with 14 analog phone lines and about 40 phones.
Our phone vendor is trying to sell us on an IP Phone system since our
systems is outdated. We have a fairly small network, a few switches, a
router to our ISP, file server etc.. Would an IP phone system use the
switches we have or do they require new ones? Also would we be getting
rid of our 14 phone lines from our local phone company? If so, where
would calls outside our building go to? I understand how it would work
inside our building, with everything running over our data network, but
what happens for outgoing calls? Do these IP systems just use the
analog phone lines, or does the phone company give us some sort of IP
line(s)?

www.BradReese.Com 11-14-2006 07:54 PM

Re: voip for my company

Hi Bill,

You may wish to investigate Cisco's Voice Solutions (IP Communications)
Designer:

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/sa2/child/1.0/index.asp

as well as the Bandwidth.com VoIP Test Tool:

http://www.bandwidth.com/tools/voipTest

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com

Phil Schneck 11-14-2006 11:47 PM

Re: voip for my company

Bill,

Here is another link that talks about the Cisco IP Telephony products.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ers_guide.html

My suggestion would be for you to use the Partner Locator tool on
Cisco's website to find the closest authorized IP telephony partner.

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LO...er_locator.jsp

Regards,

Phil Schneck

Doug McIntyre 11-15-2006 05:35 AM

Re: voip for my company

"billfaith" <bill_schultz@hotmail.com> writes:
>I work for a company with 14 analog phone lines and about 40 phones.
>Our phone vendor is trying to sell us on an IP Phone system since our
>systems is outdated. We have a fairly small network, a few switches, a
>router to our ISP, file server etc.. Would an IP phone system use the
>switches we have or do they require new ones? Also would we be getting
>rid of our 14 phone lines from our local phone company? If so, where
>would calls outside our building go to? I understand how it would work
>inside our building, with everything running over our data network, but
>what happens for outgoing calls? Do these IP systems just use the
>analog phone lines, or does the phone company give us some sort of IP
>line(s)?

Hmm, sounds like questions best to ask of the vendor that is proposing
this to you?

The thing with VOIP is, you don't really want bursts on your data
network to interfer with your voice network, so most companies run VOIP
traffic in a seperate VLAN or a seperate network altogether.

Typically, you'd probably be looking at keeping the POTS lines and run
them through an IP gateway, although LECs are starting to deliver
lines over VOIP connections as well.

But, overall, the one really to ask is your vendor what they are proposing.
You could go either way on alot of this.

www.BradReese.Com 11-16-2006 03:07 PM

Re: voip for my company

Bill,

You may also wish to investigate the VoIP Executive Guide:

http://www.bradreese.com/voip-executive-guide.pdf

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Technical Forums