Velocity Reviews

-   -   Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t379640-confused-vlans-3550-and-2950-switches.html)

The Other Mike 11-10-2006 03:54 PM

Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches

New to VLANs and am trying to configure a 3550 with another VLAN. Our
current setup is a 192.168.50.0/24 network. We want to add a
192.168.51.0/24 network and route between the two. We have a PIX as
our default gateway...which is connected to the 3550. Also off the
3550 we have a few 2950 switches. I followed the config here..
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473...anrouting.html
and can ping the PIX, the new VLAN address on the 3550 and also the
old VLAN address. My issue is I can't ping the 2950s or anything off
of them...seems like no internal routing is being done and I don't
know where to go from here. Again, very new to this (thrown in a
network position) so any pointers would be very helpful.

The Other Mike 11-10-2006 04:36 PM

Re: Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:54:57 -0500, The Other Mike <Noone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>New to VLANs and am trying to configure a 3550 with another VLAN. Our
>current setup is a 192.168.50.0/24 network. We want to add a
>192.168.51.0/24 network and route between the two. We have a PIX as
>our default gateway...which is connected to the 3550. Also off the
>3550 we have a few 2950 switches. I followed the config here..
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473...anrouting.html
>and can ping the PIX, the new VLAN address on the 3550 and also the
>old VLAN address. My issue is I can't ping the 2950s or anything off
>of them...seems like no internal routing is being done and I don't
>know where to go from here. Again, very new to this (thrown in a
>network position) so any pointers would be very helpful.

Replying to my own post....it seems that if I set the default gateway
to the 3550 instead of the PIX that everything's working. Before I go
changing anything in production, does that seem like all that would
need to be done? Anything to watch out for?

chris 11-10-2006 05:25 PM

"The Other Mike" <Noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:54:57 -0500, The Other Mike <Noone@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>New to VLANs and am trying to configure a 3550 with another VLAN. Our
>>current setup is a 192.168.50.0/24 network. We want to add a
>>192.168.51.0/24 network and route between the two. We have a PIX as
>>our default gateway...which is connected to the 3550. Also off the
>>3550 we have a few 2950 switches. I followed the config here..
>> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473...anrouting.html
>>and can ping the PIX, the new VLAN address on the 3550 and also the
>>old VLAN address. My issue is I can't ping the 2950s or anything off
>>of them...seems like no internal routing is being done and I don't
>>know where to go from here. Again, very new to this (thrown in a
>>network position) so any pointers would be very helpful.

> Replying to my own post....it seems that if I set the default gateway
> to the 3550 instead of the PIX that everything's working. Before I go
> changing anything in production, does that seem like all that would
> need to be done? Anything to watch out for?

If you are trying to route to the 2950 via the Pix (as the default gw) then
this won't work. The Pix isn't a router.

Chris.

pcmccollum@N0SPAMgmail.com 11-10-2006 06:14 PM

Re: Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches

The PIX can do basic static routing if you want, but if you're going to
create SVIs on your L3 switches, it usually makes more sense to use
that as your default gateway. Then perform all routing on the 3550s.

Phillip

CK 11-10-2006 08:19 PM

Re: Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches

Hi,

What you can do is follow following senerio best one to follow:

INERNET

Router/PIX

All the vlan traffic on 2950 should be routed to 3550/
All Intervlan traffic is handled by 3550 and then All Internet traffic
is routed to PIX/Router for ISp etc.

CK

The Other Mike 11-10-2006 08:22 PM

On 10 Nov 2006 12:19:10 -0800, "CK" <chetan.kamra@gmail.com> wrote:

>All the vlan traffic on 2950 should be routed to 3550/
>All Intervlan traffic is handled by 3550 and then All Internet traffic
>is routed to PIX/Router for ISp etc.
>
>CK

Looks good thanks. Everything seems to be working...just found the IP
helper-address command too so DHCP seems good to go as well. Thanks.