Velocity Reviews

-   -   Idea Certifcation Path for Beginner (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t379048-idea-certifcation-path-for-beginner.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgTWNDb25uZWxs?= 02-12-2007 03:48 AM

Idea Certifcation Path for Beginner

I should first clarify that I'm only a beginner to the world of Windows
programming. I've been a self-taught web programmer for many years (focusing
on PHP/MySQL setups), and I've recently been hired as a webmaster for an up
and coming internet advertising company. I have decided to gain my
development certifications for the Windows platform because I feel that it is
the best plan of action for me at this point to further my career.

I have decided on the MCTS: Web Development certification, and I have a
couple questions. Is this the best certification to start with? Is there
another I should focus on first? Also, what is the best way to study? The
E-Learning programs on the MS site will run me about $1300.00 total for the
certification (that's not including the cost of books/exams/etc...) process.
However, I noticed that most tests required for certification status have
"Self Paced Starter Kit" type books, which would be much less expensive for
me.

I guess I'm just looking for information/advice on the best way to enter the
world of Microsoft certification with a focus on web development. Thanks to
all who reply.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgTWNDb25uZWxs?= 02-12-2007 03:56 AM

RE: Idea Certifcation Path for Beginner

I apologize, I initially didn't see the MCST newsgroup. I will post this
question there as it is more relevant to that newsgroup. Sorry.

=?Utf-8?B?TGFiYXM=?= 03-28-2007 01:17 AM

RE: Idea Certifcation Path for Beginner

see my answer at the end
"James McConnell" wrote:

> I apologize, I initially didn't see the MCST newsgroup. I will post this
> question there as it is more relevant to that newsgroup. Sorry.
>
> "James McConnell" wrote:
>
> > I should first clarify that I'm only a beginner to the world of Windows
> > programming. I've been a self-taught web programmer for many years (focusing
> > on PHP/MySQL setups), and I've recently been hired as a webmaster for an up
> > and coming internet advertising company. I have decided to gain my
> > development certifications for the Windows platform because I feel that it is
> > the best plan of action for me at this point to further my career.
> >
> > I have decided on the MCTS: Web Development certification, and I have a
> > couple questions. Is this the best certification to start with? Is there
> > another I should focus on first? Also, what is the best way to study? The
> > E-Learning programs on the MS site will run me about $1300.00 total for the
> > certification (that's not including the cost of books/exams/etc...) process.
> > However, I noticed that most tests required for certification status have
> > "Self Paced Starter Kit" type books, which would be much less expensive for
> > me.
> >
> > I guess I'm just looking for information/advice on the best way to enter the
> > world of Microsoft certification with a focus on web development. Thanks to
> > all who reply.

Hi James
i hope your are not James BOND ( its a joke !)
I am like you my dear despite i have earn a lot of
certificate already
AS you said you are a self taugh Why dont you order books from Microsoft
press?
i mean Self Paced Trainning books
It would not reach as such amount? like the one you will have to pay for
online courses
Microsoft self paced trainning books(for exams trainning) and Deitel Books
(for getting the basis)
As you already know PHP it would became easy
Because what you are supposed to master is : algorithms
The language is just a translation of what the algorith says
As far as i can know MCTS Web dev is about 3 exams
would you stop at that level or need to go ahead?
Microsoft books related to certificates based on WEB 2.0 are around 70$ at
www.amazon.com each
i can advise you to start with a book which describe you first
-Microsoft IDE VS2005 features in order for you to get accustomed with it
-a book related to Winforms
-a book related to Webforms
-a book related to web service
-a book related to Applications Devlopment Fundation
This is not the absolute order to be follow no no no
i am just sharing with you the one i am using
Please take note also that the way of evaluation exams have changed
so try to get a deep information about that
how exams are rated
The good average is 700 out of 1000
i hope that all these informations may be helpful to you
Armand (armand_labas@yahoo.fr)