Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor Files Transfer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t378214-monitor-files-transfer.html)

Oliver 02-23-2007 06:56 AM

Monitor Files Transfer

Does anyone has any experience on monitoring files transfered to a
wireless devices attached to a usb port? Can someone shared their
experience or provide guidance? Is it possible at all.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-23-2007 04:41 PM

Re: Monitor Files Transfer

Hi
You have to elaborate and explain your specific need otherwise it is not
possible to give a focused answer.
Wireless is just a replacement to a wire and whether it is USB or other
method the Network per-se works the same as with a wire.
File exchange can be done through means like ftp server that can keep a log
of the files that are uploaded, and downloaded.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Oliver 02-24-2007 01:16 AM

Re: Monitor Files Transfer

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> You have to elaborate and explain your specific need otherwise it is not
> possible to give a focused answer.
> Wireless is just a replacement to a wire and whether it is USB or other
> method the Network per-se works the same as with a wire.
> File exchange can be done through means like ftp server that can keep a log
> of the files that are uploaded, and downloaded.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Oliver" <tslu69@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone has any experience on monitoring files transfered to a
>> wireless devices attached to a usb port? Can someone shared their
>> experience or provide guidance? Is it possible at all.

Hi,
Thanks for taking time to respond. In fact, i plan to write a software
which monitors files that which are being copy out from the PC (Windows
XP) to any attached wireless devices. I am more concerned with files
that are copied out of the PC, for security reasons. So far, I can only
managed to tracked files copied to a directory but not to wireless
devices using the ReadDirectoryChangesW api.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-24-2007 02:07 AM

Re: Monitor Files Transfer

Hi
Read directory is a straight forward action since that is what done in a
directory, files are written and being read.
Howvever files are not written and read to a Wireless Network card, the card
transfers traffic, the traffic can be sniffed and analyzed.
http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer.php

Oliver 02-24-2007 07:59 AM

Re: Monitor Files Transfer

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> Read directory is a straight forward action since that is what done in a
> directory, files are written and being read.
> Howvever files are not written and read to a Wireless Network card, the card
> transfers traffic, the traffic can be sniffed and analyzed.
> http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer.php
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Oliver" <tslu69@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> You have to elaborate and explain your specific need otherwise it is not
>>> possible to give a focused answer.
>>> Wireless is just a replacement to a wire and whether it is USB or other
>>> method the Network per-se works the same as with a wire.
>>> File exchange can be done through means like ftp server that can keep a
>>> log of the files that are uploaded, and downloaded.
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Oliver" <tslu69@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>> Hi,
>> Thanks for taking time to respond. In fact, i plan to write a software
>> which monitors files that which are being copy out from the PC (Windows
>> XP) to any attached wireless devices. I am more concerned with files that
>> are copied out of the PC, for security reasons. So far, I can only managed
>> to tracked files copied to a directory but not to wireless devices using
>> the ReadDirectoryChangesW api.

By the way, the wireless device is attach to a usb port.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?= 02-25-2007 07:02 AM

Re: Monitor Files Transfer

Maybe you want to check for existing, proven info security solutions.
Anything we can quickly hack in our kitchen, usually is too naive and won't
work as expected.

Regards,
--PA