Velocity Reviews

-   -   choosing an access point (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t378210-choosing-an-access-point.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9jbWFj?= 02-23-2007 12:16 AM

choosing an access point

I travel a lot and at hotels there are usually more than one access point to
the wireless network. the issue i'm having is that my computer dosent always
choose the one that has the best signal. i've tried disconnecting the network
and removeing it from the auto connect list, same thing. it seems as though
once it has connected to the one point it doesnt look at the others unless
the original is not available. is their a way to choose which access point I
connect to?
i use a program that came with my top (toshiba) that detects wireless acess
points and their strengths. (configfree)
thanx

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-23-2007 01:04 AM

Re: choosing an access point

Hi
First make sure that if you use the Toshiba Utility switch Off Windows
Wireless Zero Configuration (and Vice Versa).
The Roaming aspects of standard Wireless does not work very well it is Not
the fault of any specific Wireless component.
In addition it might dependent on the way the Access Points SSID, and
channels were configured.
Sorry but there is nothing really that you can do about it. I am sure that
the Wireless is still a great thing even with this little nuisance.
Jack (MVP-Networking).