Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sharing Internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t377955-sharing-internet.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaWE=?= 01-20-2007 11:24 PM

Sharing Internet

Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with
my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my
desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and
Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share our
existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do not
know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are there
any other accessories required?

Any help greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?= 01-21-2007 12:19 AM

RE: Sharing Internet

"Patricia" wrote:

> Hello. Can someone please explain what I need to share internet access with
> my lap top computers? I have a broadband internect connection (cable) on my
> desktop computer (Windows XP). My family and I received both a MacBook and
> Sony Vaio (Windows XP MCE) laptops and we just want to be able to share our
> existing internet access. I am completely ignorant on the subject of
> internet sharing and home networking (are these two synonomous?) and do not
> know where to even begin. I have read that I'll need a router, but are there
> any other accessories required?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Patricia,
You need to buy a Router and Wireless adapters to be able to give access to
all computers to share the Internet, but really not sharing but every body be
able to access the Internet whenever they want.
Read this article on how to setup a wireless network:
Here are the steps to set the security on Linksys:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
Check the New Laptop if they have Wireless capabilities on them installed as
most all modern Laptops comes these days equipped with wireless access.
HTH.
Regards,
nass
-------
www.nasstec.co.uk

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 01-21-2007 12:35 AM

Re: Sharing Internet

Hi

The short version.

You need to purchase a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.

The Device connects to the broadband Modem and serve as Router to split the
Internet among wire and wireless computers.

Example to such a device,

The whole system would look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

You can find here a lot of info involving such installation,
http://www.ezlan.net

The long version.

The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
Sharing Internet, and using Wireless.

The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
still the same.

Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

When all the computers can access the Internet (whether Wire, or Wireless),
you can set the Sharing on each computer, and enjoy the LAN as well.

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

to be shared.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaWE=?= 01-22-2007 04:51 AM

Re: Sharing Internet

Thanks for the prompt replies, nass and Jack. I connected my router and the
Mac detected my network and is working just fine. The Sony Vaio also detects
my network- however, I cannot connect to the internet. I don't know what
other configurations I need to make so that this machine will work. Any
suggestions? Thanks again.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaWE=?= 01-25-2007 10:50 PM

Re: Sharing Internet

I finally figured out that it was the Norton Internet Security firewall
preventing me from accessing the internet. Both laptops are working great.
Thanks for the help.

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?= 01-26-2007 06:46 PM

Re: Sharing Internet

Glad all sorted and you found the culprit, thanks for letting us know and
good luck.
Regards,
nass

Phil 10-18-2008 02:16 AM

Re: Sharing Internet

I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
(as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
just received)!
Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
to encounter!
I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
"The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
this desire true!

Phil 10-18-2008 02:16 AM

RE: Sharing Internet