Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Sorting Circuit in Digital Logic Design (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t377483-a-sorting-circuit-in-digital-logic-design.html)

Johnathan Coll 12-27-2006 10:57 PM

A Sorting Circuit in Digital Logic Design

Hello;

I am trying to implement a Linear Array Sort that takes in 10 8-bit
inputs serially and outputs the inputs in increasing order. I figured
out that Bubble Sort is the easiest kind of sort that can be
implemented in hardware.
The first step to implement this Linear Array Sorter was to read in the
inputs. I used a Modulo 10 counter to read in the inputs from the user.

Now how can I continue from here? I thought that using a 1-bit
comparator (1-bit slicing) can work. But I then realized that I need
buffers and other counters for further implementaion.
Please, any ideas? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Mike Treseler 12-28-2006 08:08 PM

Re: A Sorting Circuit in Digital Logic Design

Johnathan Coll wrote:

> I am trying to implement a Linear Array Sort that takes in 10 8-bit
> inputs serially and outputs the inputs in increasing order. I figured
> out that Bubble Sort is the easiest kind of sort that can be
> implemented in hardware.
> The first step to implement this Linear Array Sorter was to read in the
> inputs. I used a Modulo 10 counter to read in the inputs from the user.
>
> Now how can I continue from here? I thought that using a 1-bit
> comparator (1-bit slicing) can work. But I then realized that I need
> buffers and other counters for further implementaion.
> Please, any ideas? I would really appreciate your help.

I would:
1. Use a single process synchronous design.
2. Declare variables for the
vector array,loop counters, and io shifters.
4. Code the sort algorithm directly with
one compare/swap per tick.
5. sim the sort first, then do the load
and unload modes.
6. Check synthesis using an RTL viewer.