Velocity Reviews

-   -   Linksys 802.11G Router? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t377268-linksys-802-11g-router.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?= 12-16-2006 12:26 PM

Linksys 802.11G Router?

I need a new router and my son tell's me he has had linksys routers and has
had no problem with them.
I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of used
ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there something
out there that is better than the linksys.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-16-2006 04:20 PM

Re: Linksys 802.11G Router?

Hi
The USA id a consumer orineted society people buy new hardware even if the
old still works, Some then sell it on eBay.
However there are New Inexpensive good Routers.
Currently, a very popular one is this,
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware manafacturer, or
and, the vendors that I mentioned above.

Randy 12-17-2006 01:21 AM

Re: Linksys 802.11G Router?

I have a linksys 802.11g and have not had any problems. In the U.S. they
sell for $49 on sell and the 802.11gs is $69 that is a bit faster if you
have more then two computers on the router.

Just my thoughts
Randy

Bubba 12-17-2006 01:39 AM

Re: Linksys 802.11G Router?

Actually you want to buy a used WRT54G <= ver4. Starting w/ ver 5 these
have 1/2 as much memory and use propietary Linksys software instead of the
Linux used up to ver4.

More info at Linksysinfo.org.

Bubba

Danny Kile 12-17-2006 07:33 PM

Re: Linksys 802.11G Router?

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> The USA id a consumer orineted society people buy new hardware even if the
> old still works, Some then sell it on eBay.
> However there are New Inexpensive good Routers.
> Currently, a very popular one is this,
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware manafacturer, or
> and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
>
> "Bud Z" <BudZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I need a new router and my son tell's me he has had linksys routers and has
>> had no problem with them.
>> I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of
>> used
>> ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there
>> something
>> out there that is better than the linksys.

I got the above router from Newegg as Jack mentioned above, for the
Total price of $39.99 with free shipping. I then use it for one day with
the original router SO software which was great. However, I bought the
router to re-flash it, so on day two I re-flashed the router with
DD-WRT.COM third party router Software and the is great,
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php .

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly

Sean Massey 12-18-2006 05:12 AM

Re: Linksys 802.11G Router?

Bud Z wrote:
> I need a new router and my son tell's me he has had linksys routers and has
> had no problem with them.
> I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of used
> ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there something
> out there that is better than the linksys.

That's because the WRT-54G has been out for a while. The router is on
it's 7th version, not counting special versions like the Speedbooster
and L variants.

I would recommend searching New Egg for the WRT-54GL. It retails new
for 60-some dollars and retains the functionality of the pre-v.4 versions.