Velocity Reviews

-   -   Isolate network users (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t377150-isolate-network-users.html)

=?Utf-8?B?R2liZ28=?= 12-12-2006 09:48 AM

Isolate network users

Good day
I need to know how is it possible to isolate certain PCs on the same
hub/switch. The 2 sets of groups can be on 2 different domains/workgroups but
should not share information at all!

How is this possible on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks

Malke 12-12-2006 01:15 PM

Re: Isolate network users

Gibgo wrote:

> Good day
> I need to know how is it possible to isolate certain PCs on the same
> hub/switch. The 2 sets of groups can be on 2 different
> domains/workgroups but should not share information at all!
>
> How is this possible on Windows XP Pro.

Just make users and restrict network resources to the users you want.
Turn off Simple Sharing so you can set the fine-grained permissions you
need.

HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP -

User Management and Security in Windows XP -
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxppusrm.html

Example for a Workgroup

Computer A - users Bill and Tom
Computer B - users Mary and Jill

If Mary and Jill don't have user accounts on Computer A, they won't be
able to access Computer A's shared resources.

If you want to be even more elaborate, you can create user groups, too.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-12-2006 05:43 PM

Re: Isolate network users

Hi
You can not configure two independent Networks on one regular switch/hub.
So if they have to be on the same switch Malke solution is the way to go.
Otherwise there are ways to create such a separation with Routers.
I can not tell you what to do in specific since you did not provided
detailed information.
You can see the general principle here, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

David Hettel 12-12-2006 05:48 PM

Re: Isolate network users

It's not clear to me what you are asking. If you truly want one set of users
totally isolated from another group of users you'll need two different LANs
IMHO. You can't do that using just a hub. That basically means a
knowledgeable user in one group trying to find out what a user in the other
group is doing will not find it easy to do. If on the other hand you just
want each group to have their own resources, and you're not worried about a
user in one group trying to hack into the resources of the other group then
Malke's suggestion will work. It really depends on the level of security you
want, which is not clear to me from your post.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

Malke 12-13-2006 10:52 PM

Re: Isolate network users

Gibgo wrote:

> Basically its an Internet Cafe with 2 admin PCs in back office with 4
> PCs in front for users/browsers.
>
> The configuration is such
> ADSL/Router Modem Netgear DG834G, will need to add another hub as the
> Netgear Modem only has 4x 10/100 ports on it & there is a total of 6
> PCs.
>
> Need to secure admin PCs from user/browser PCs. Security would be a
> PRIORITY as a possible threat from a "user"(please note that users
> will be logged in with "Limited Usage" under Windows XP user
> protocols).
>
> There is no concern with regard to admin PCs being a threat.
>
> Hope this has more clarity.

Yes, this makes all the difference in the world. Your admin PC's should
be on a separate network entirely from the public computers. You will
need to purchase more equipment and use a different subnet. The public
computers should have file/printer sharing turned off and you may also
want to look into using something like Deep Freeze from Faronics on
them to return them to a completely pristine state every night.

Malke