Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bandwidth limit per user (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t37709-bandwidth-limit-per-user.html)

tm4525@aol.com 02-15-2005 04:46 PM

Bandwidth limit per user

>Hardware bandwidth controllers are quite expensive - Planet 10 >Mbps

is about
>:1000 euro
>

>.
>
>Packeteer's PacketShaper is much more expensive than that :(
>About $US7500 for PacketShaper 2500 with 10 M license (the >maximum
>for the device),
>About $US12500 for PacketShaper 6500 with 10 M license (the >minimum
>for the device), about $US17000 for the fibre-equipped >equivilent.

Getting a packetshaper for this type of application isn't
a great idea; they are way too expensive and worse they are
just not good at per-user limiting. They were designed for
per-protocol control, and had to scramble rather badly when
they realized they missed the boat on what is really needed.

For $4-5K you can get a box than handles just about anything
you can throw at it from etinc. We have an R1800G pushing
87Mb/s with over 8000 user controls that runs at about 16%
utilization. Sweet.

www.etinc.com for info

Tommy