Velocity Reviews

-   -   Extending wireless network approx 500 feet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t377004-extending-wireless-network-approx-500-feet.html)

Homer Jay 12-05-2006 01:55 PM

Extending wireless network approx 500 feet

Is it possible to extend a wireless network to about 500 feet (from one
house to another)? and if so what equipment would most likely be required?

Both houses are directly opposite one another, there are no other
buildings/tree's etc in between. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G in one
house, the other house has a wired netgear router. Would I need to purchase
a 2nd WRT54G and configure this as an access point on the Netgear router?
and would an external antenna then help to provide the signal? If so what
kind of antenna?

Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-05-2006 04:16 PM

Re: Extending wireless network approx 500 feet

Hi

If you have a direct line of sight and No obstructions you can try to bridge
with highly Directional Antennae, you need to place the Antennae Outdoors
facing one the other.

If you would like to maintain Wireless through each site as well, you would
need two Wireless Routers, or Access Point s that can work as Bridges, or
Clients ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

Linksys and Netgear Wireless Routers do not do Bridging as is. You can use
them as the inside Wireless devices and get two additional Wireless devices
that can Bridge.

These are a good Wireless Routers that can Bridge and it is in comparison to
other devices is inexpensive.

More info and type of setting here, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

NetSteady 12-05-2006 10:04 PM

Re: Extending wireless network approx 500 feet

You'll want to look at a Signal Seeker. http://www.signal-seeker.com.
I've seen them shoot over a mile.

I currently offer these @ $100 each, so feel free to contact me if
you're interested.