Velocity Reviews

-   -   Very high CPU load with FF on particular site (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t376696-very-high-cpu-load-with-ff-on-particular-site.html)

DavidM 11-25-2006 04:31 PM

Very high CPU load with FF on particular site

When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
high CPU usage compared to most other sites I visit. If I
access a number of the forums in tabs or multiple windows
my PC soon runs out of puff!

Anyone else noticed this, and can anyone explain what's
going on?

Thanks, David

Ed Mullen 11-25-2006 04:37 PM

Re: Very high CPU load with FF on particular site

DavidM wrote:
> When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
> with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
> high CPU usage compared to most other sites I visit. If I
> access a number of the forums in tabs or multiple windows
> my PC soon runs out of puff!
>
> Anyone else noticed this, and can anyone explain what's
> going on?

Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

elaich 11-25-2006 06:07 PM

Re: Very high CPU load with FF on particular site

Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
v7f7PXYnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@comcast.com:

> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
> new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
site to set a cookie.

Ed Mullen 11-25-2006 07:28 PM

elaich wrote:
> Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
> v7f7PXYnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
>> new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

> Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
> site to set a cookie.

He said "... Windows Task Manager shows ..." so it's a fairly safe bet
on Windows. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Leonidas Jones 11-25-2006 10:48 PM

Ed Mullen wrote:
> elaich wrote:
>> Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
>> v7f7PXYnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@comcast.com:
>>
>>> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When
>>> opening a new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to
>>> zero.

>> Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who
>> report high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I
>> also denied the site to set a cookie.

> He said "... Windows Task Manager shows ..." so it's a fairly safe bet
> on Windows. ;-)

Yes indeed, but which version of Windows?

Lee

John Thompson 11-26-2006 12:05 AM

On 2006-11-25, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

> The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
> site to set a cookie.

From the originl post:

Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869

Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

DavidM 11-26-2006 12:33 PM

"John Thompson" <john@vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message
> On 2006-11-25, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>> The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
>> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied
>> the
>> site to set a cookie.

> From the originl post:
>
> Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
>
> Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.
>
> --
>
> John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Windows XP Home, SP2.
Funny thing is that this doesn't happen on my laptop with the same
build of Firefox (and OS).
Any suuggestions as to how I can investigate what's going on?
David

Ed Mullen 11-26-2006 04:22 PM

elaich wrote:
> Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
> v7f7PXYnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
>> new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

> Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
> site to set a cookie.

Interesting. I run XP on all my systems and have /never/ had any of the
memory problems reported by others. On the other hand, the least memory
any of my PCs has is 1 Gb. And the slowest processor among them is 933
MHz. I am virtually always running multiple apps with lots of switching
between. I leave SeaMonkey (and sometimes Firefox) running all day, or
even overnight, without any freezes or other reported problems.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen 11-26-2006 04:33 PM

DavidM wrote:
> "John Thompson" <john@vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message
>> On 2006-11-25, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:
>>
>>> The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
>>> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied
>>> the
>>> site to set a cookie.

>> From the originl post:
>>
>> Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
>>
>> Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John (john@os2.dhs.org)

> Windows XP Home, SP2.
> Funny thing is that this doesn't happen on my laptop with the same
> build of Firefox (and OS).
> Any suuggestions as to how I can investigate what's going on?
> David

It's a tedious process, indeed. You've got to get each system
configured as-close-to-exactly the same as possible. That is, with the
exception of different device drivers necessitated by hardware differences.

List of possibilities:

1. Differences in extensions and/or plugins between the systems
2. Ditto on programs that load on boot
3. Ditto on installed RAM and CPU speed and type

Test:

Set up both systems in exactly the same state regarding boot-time
programs, transient running programs (e.g. Firefox), connected devices,
network connections, etc. I suggest temporarily disabling all
user-installed programs that run at boot.

Run duplicative tests with Firefox on each. See if you can reproduce
the issue on either or both systems.

Start adding back in disabled boot-time programs one-by-one; reboot each
time, test again.

And be aware that you may never be able to pin down the cause. Good luck!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

keyes04@netscape.net 11-27-2006 01:53 AM

Re: Very high CPU load with FF on particular site

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:31:33 GMT, "DavidM"
<davidm_uk_notme@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
>with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
>high CPU usage ... .

When you looked at Task Manager, did you only look at the
"applications" tab, or did you also look at the "processes" tab? If
you didn't look specifically at which process was dominating the CPU,
it would be potentially VERY helpful to see what's actually using the
resources. If you're not familiar with the "Processes" tab, click it
and then click on the CPU tab within that. That should put the
highest usage processes at the top - it's just like sorting on one
column in a spreadsheet to move the highest or lowest numbers to the
top. Just click "CPU" 2 or 3 times if the first click doesn't do it.
Then you'll see what's using the CPU the most. That may give you a
good clue as to what's going on.

C.R.