Velocity Reviews

-   -   Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t376009-training-options-for-windows-server-2003-mcse.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?= 11-12-2006 08:12 AM

Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

I have decided to study for and pursue the MCSE certification for the Windows
Server 2003 track. Due to severe financial constraints, (I am currently
"between jobs"), I must operate on a very limited income. I can't afford to
pay for expensive classroom instruction, or $10,000.00 to attend a boot camp.

I have just started reading Martin S. Matthews book: "Windows Server 2003: A
Beginner's Guide," but I realize that I am going to need more than just this
one resource in order to take (and pass) the exams. Specifically, I realize
that I am going to need to get "intimately familiar" with the OS itself - by
working with either an actual copy of the OS or some type of "software
simulation" of the OS that can run on my computer. (I am running Windows XP
Professional, SP2 on my box.) I also have a separate notebook computer which
I could "wipe," install a new OS on, and use solely for training purposes -
which might be the best way to go about this.

Are any of you aware if Microsoft has a "training" (or "student") version of
Windows Server 2003 that has been specifically designed to help facilitate
MCSE training? I have come across an "eLearning" Microsoft web site where
you can purchase interactive "software simulation" training modules for
various Microsoft products - including, (I think), the Windows Server 2003
OS. Have any of you used Microsoft's "eLearning" software for MCSE training?
Are these "eLearning" modules a good alternative to plunking down several
hundred (or even up to a thousand dollars?) for a copy of Windows Server 2003?

I described my situation to an MCSE I met in the computer book section of my
local Barnes & Noble bookseller. He recommended I contact a company called
VMWare (http://www.VMWare.com) which (he said) sold "virtual server" software
that could be used for interactive training. I sent them an email, but they
never responded. (I got the impression that the VMWare folks were more
interested in large business acccounts rather than a small individual like me
....)

I think it is important that I have either an actual working copy of Windows
Server 2003, (or some type of close simulation of it), to go along with my
book learning. This is the first time I have attempted to obtain a
certification. I sense that it is very important that I know how to
[quickly] navigate my way through all the various drop down menus and be able
to accomplish tasks as quickly (and efficiently) as possible. To pass the
exams, I believe I will need to be so familiar with the OS that I can do
things almost without thinking - as if it's a reflex action. (I know if I
sit down to take the exam(s) and I have to pause to think for more than a
minute, then I'm probably in trouble.) To obtain that kind of familiarity
with the OS, I'm going to need a copy (or a virtual copy) of the OS that I
can actually use and work with.

Any suggestions any of you can offer, (including books and/or online
resources) will be greatly appreciated. (If you prefer, feel free to contact
me directly at my email address: lawhonac@HiWAAY.net.) In the meantime I
will continue reading Martin Matthews book and trying to figure all this out.

TIA,

Alan C. Lawhon
Huntsville, Alabama

Thor 11-12-2006 01:17 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

Hi.
First google (or wikipedia)
http://www.google.com/search?q=Windo...003+Evaluation

might give results like:

Evaluation...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/privacy.mspx

....or ready to run in the free Virtual Server
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Server)
image:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx
(You want to ensure you have enough RAM)
I particulary like the possibility of setting up virtual networks in Virtual
server: first set up the loopback adapter on the host (if you have only one
adapter)

Hope this helps, and good luck
53

Thor 11-12-2006 01:26 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

Podcast

If I was getting into this biz today (I'm kinda seasoned) I would try these,
too:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...n/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/events/podcasts/
http://www.microsoft.com/events/webcasts/ondemand.mspx (marked technet)
....and many more, and just because I think I'm the top of the cherry I still
use these myself
53

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBDLiBMYXdob24=?= 11-13-2006 12:40 AM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

Thor:

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I will
follow up on all the URLs you provided. (This is very helpful.) Thanks
again!

Alan C. Lawhon

Robert B Dubrey IV 11-13-2006 01:56 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

Microsoft Technet Plus. Best dollars I have spent when I was working on my
certs. Great tool for their products and you also get the OS'es without
limitations. I also used Transcenders and Testout. You can get this done
for a lot less then 10K though. You will have to invest some time. I would
definitely get some PCs and get some hands on time because the reads are
good but the screen time is better.

Rob

On 11/12/06 2:12 AM, in article
E502FB59-FB04-46C1-BE08-87FEBDD238E6@microsoft.com, "Alan C. Lawhon" <Alan
> [...]

> [quickly] navigate my way through all the various drop down menus and be able
> to accomplish tasks as quickly (and efficiently) as possible. To pass the
> exams, I believe I will need to be so familiar with the OS that I can do
> things almost without thinking - as if it's a reflex action. (I know if I
> sit down to take the exam(s) and I have to pause to think for more than a
> minute, then I'm probably in trouble.) To obtain that kind of familiarity
> with the OS, I'm going to need a copy (or a virtual copy) of the OS that I
> can actually use and work with.
>
> Any suggestions any of you can offer, (including books and/or online
> resources) will be greatly appreciated. (If you prefer, feel free to contact
> me directly at my email address: lawhonac@HiWAAY.net.) In the meantime I
> will continue reading Martin Matthews book and trying to figure all this out.

11-13-2006 02:19 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

What do you mean by "definitely get some PCs"? You're not suggesting he set
up a network of PCs in his home, are you? I mean, that's all fine & dandy IF
that's what he would normally have (I have a network of PCs in my home), but
to unnecessarily set up a network of PCs in ones home JUST to practice for
exams is...well, unnecessary. Microsoft has a couple of tools (well, there
are probably 1000s of tools working there) but two in particular that were
designed for the student. They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all from your
ONE desktop.

HTH

HAND

--
CertGuard
You think you know IT?!

Neil 11-13-2006 02:40 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

did you hear <CertGuard> say in news:12lgvn8o5tbsuee@news.supernews.com:

> They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
> run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all
> from your ONE desktop.

um, well, I'm gonna disagree with you here. Maybe 4 or 5 if you have like 2
Gb of RAM, but 100s? no, I don't think so. If the compuker is an Opteron
with 128Gb of RAM you might get 100, but not "100s"...

....and you would still need the disk space...

but this would help:

http://tinyurl.com/ym7y7q

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

- I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Neil 11-13-2006 02:41 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

did you hear Robert B Dubrey IV <robert@dubrey.net> say in

> Great tool for their products and you also get the OS'es without
> limitations.

not entirely true. You might want to re-read that EULA

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

- Software is the part of the computer you can't kick.

11-13-2006 03:09 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

news:Xns987A625B39E29neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear <CertGuard> say in news:12lgvn8o5tbsuee@news.supernews.com:
>
>> They are, Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can
>> run a network of 100s of computers (if you have the HDD space) all
>> from your ONE desktop.
>>

> um, well, I'm gonna disagree with you here. Maybe 4 or 5 if you have like
> 2
> Gb of RAM, but 100s? no, I don't think so. If the compuker is an Opteron
> with 128Gb of RAM you might get 100, but not "100s"...
>
> ...and you would still need the disk space...

Well thank you Mr. Precise! ;)

I don't recall saying anything about running them all at one time, but ok.

> but this would help:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ym7y7q

Neil, your links ALWAYS help. Thankee sir ;)

Neil 11-13-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Training Options for Windows Server 2003 MCSE

did you hear <CertGuard> say in news:12lh2l2ncdr2rf6@news.supernews.com:

> Well thank you Mr. Precise! ;)

I prefer "Mr. Pedantic"

> I don't recall saying anything about running them all at one time, but
> ok.

I think it was implied since it was not specifically indicated otherwise.

....now bookmark that RSS feed...Rod is my hero (he screwed over K-mart)...

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

- Quick, I need a tagline...let me steal yours!