Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCSE Security Track (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375896-mcse-security-track.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TVNUViBXYW5uYWJl?= 11-09-2006 08:00 PM

MCSE Security Track

I am taking the instructor led classes at HP for MCSE Security on W2k3 and
both MS's and HP's training websites agree that there are 4 core networking
exams, 1 client exam and 1 core security design exam required for this Cert.
I am confused, however, by the HP web site saying that there are 2 additional
core security electives required, where Microsoft says only 1 additional core
security elective is required. Naturally I would assume the MS website to be
correct and the HP site to be wrong, but I would like to verify. Anyone have
any experience in this matter? I have seen this discrepancy on other sites
as well, such as Transcender.
--
Thanks,

Boom.like.that!
Formerly NT4/3.51 certified, uncerimoniously stripped of rank by Uncle
Bill....

Neil 11-09-2006 08:12 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

did you hear =?Utf-8?B?TVNUViBXYW5uYWJl?=
<MSTVWannabe@discussions.microsoft.com> say in

> Naturally I would assume the MS website to be
> correct and the HP site to be wrong, but I would like to verify.
> Anyone have any experience in this matter?

I would agree that the MS site is likely correct. If you have questions
regarding it, you can also mail mcphelp@microsoft.com.

> Formerly NT4/3.51 certified, uncerimoniously stripped of rank by Uncle
> Bill....

Why? The only reason that I can think of that people were stripped of the
NT4 cert was because of NDA violations. You a dumper, or a dumpee

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- Archaeologist: Person whose career lies in ruins.

=?Utf-8?B?TVNUViBXYW5uYWJl?= 11-09-2006 09:49 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

Stripped back in 2001 because I refused to upgrade to W2k Cert (my employer
did not migrate our systems to W2k and would not pay for updating my Cert).
You must not have been around after the turn of the century when people such
as myself were told that we had to update our certs or lose them, even if we
were still working with their old clunker systems. Today when I log onto the
MCP site, it says I have MCP creds, but I no longer have any indication of
MCSE status. No matter, I am in the process of fixing that by upgrading my
skill set. Hell, 10 years, its time to get re-trained anyway.

BTW, I took a few dumps in my time, but never was a "dumpee"! Don't have a
clue what your asking. LOL!
--
Thanks,

Boom

Neil 11-10-2006 02:46 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

> Stripped back in 2001 because I refused to upgrade to W2k Cert (my
> employer did not migrate our systems to W2k and would not pay for
> updating my Cert). You must not have been around after the turn of
> the century when people such as myself were told that we had to update
> our certs or lose them, even if we were still working with their old
> clunker systems. Today when I log onto the MCP site, it says I have
> MCP creds, but I no longer have any indication of MCSE status. No
> matter, I am in the process of fixing that by upgrading my skill set.
> Hell, 10 years, its time to get re-trained anyway.
>
> BTW, I took a few dumps in my time, but never was a "dumpee"! Don't
> have a clue what your asking. LOL!

you need to look again at your transcript. Although MS threatened, they
never actually did decertify the NT 4 MCSEs (unless they violated NDAs).
Having been through it myself (I also upgraded too) I know that with the
2000 cert, MS started "versioning" the MCSE cert. you would still be
considered an MCSE on NT 4 (as am I), but you could not call yourself an
MCSE on 2000 or 2003.

look at mine:

www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/transcripts

Transcript ID 655074

Access Code NeilMCSE

if you look at the top section where the MCSE is listed, you will not
that I have 4 dates listed for that. I have the initial date that I
recieved my MCSE (it was on NT 3.51) then goes on to list the date I
recieved my MCSE "Microsoft Windows NT 4.0", "Microsoft Windows 2000" and
"Microsoft Windows Server 2003". (brag,brag,brag....)

You will find that if you get ahold of your transcript, you SHOULD also
be an MCSE on NT 4. If not, you should drop a line to
mcphelp@microsoft.com and find out WHY NOT! The only reason that people
have been decertified since about 99 is that they have cheated (used
"braindumps", have a look on this group for CertGuard usually listed in
posts from BD for more on that) and have thus violated the NDA of the
exams. If you have been decertified for that, they wont LET you take any
more exams. you are out of it FOR LIFE.

Still, you should go through and upgrade to something current. This will
also get you prepped for the next round of exams coming in the next
couple of years for Vista and Longhorn <VBEG>. Good luck...

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- NO CARRIER

FrisbeeŽ 11-10-2006 03:22 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

news:Xns98776363CE84Fneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear =?Utf-8?B?TVNUViBXYW5uYWJl?=
> <MSTVWannabe@discussions.microsoft.com> say in
>
>> Stripped back in 2001 because I refused to upgrade to W2k Cert (my
>> employer did not migrate our systems to W2k and would not pay for
>> updating my Cert). You must not have been around after the turn of
>> the century when people such as myself were told that we had to update
>> our certs or lose them, even if we were still working with their old
>> clunker systems. Today when I log onto the MCP site, it says I have
>> MCP creds, but I no longer have any indication of MCSE status. No
>> matter, I am in the process of fixing that by upgrading my skill set.
>> Hell, 10 years, its time to get re-trained anyway.
>>
>> BTW, I took a few dumps in my time, but never was a "dumpee"! Don't
>> have a clue what your asking. LOL!

> you need to look again at your transcript. Although MS threatened, they
> never actually did decertify the NT 4 MCSEs (unless they violated NDAs).

He didn't mention in the above quoted text, but I seem to recall that he
said he was NT 3.51 certified, not NT 4. Perhaps back then they did strip
the certs.

Neil 11-10-2006 03:51 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

did you hear "FrisbeeŽ" <billLASTNAME@yahoo.com> say in

> He didn't mention in the above quoted text, but I seem to recall that
> he said he was NT 3.51 certified, not NT 4. Perhaps back then they
> did strip the certs.

"Formerly NT4/3.51 certified, uncerimoniously stripped of rank by Uncle
Bill...."

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students!

Neil 11-10-2006 03:52 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

did you hear "FrisbeeŽ" <billLASTNAME@yahoo.com> say in news:
#mthJwNBHHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> Perhaps back then they did strip
> the certs.

and yes the 3.51 would have been stripped if no upgrade 18 months after new
exams released (circa 1998)

Kline Sphere 11-10-2006 04:56 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

>He didn't mention in the above quoted text, but I seem to recall that he
>said he was NT 3.51 certified, not NT 4. Perhaps back then they did strip
>the certs.

as they did with the wossa and winarch mcsd tracks.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Neil 11-10-2006 07:56 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

did you hear Kline Sphere <.@> say in

> wossa and winarch

OMG yer old!

(did you do both WOSSA I and II?)

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- Heather Locklear Scratch and Sniff-> [[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Kline Sphere 11-10-2006 09:50 PM

Re: MCSE Security Track

>> wossa and winarch
>
>OMG yer old!