Velocity Reviews

-   -   Exchange install Error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375806-exchange-install-error.html)

=?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=?= 11-08-2006 02:33 PM

Exchange install Error

Hello

I install the domain controller into the server and create the domain ,
after the install the (forestprep) for Exchange server2003 ,and bring new
computer install windows server 2003 and make this computer member of that
domain I want to install Exchange Server 2003 I install all services before
install the Exchange when start to install the Exchange exactly (Domian prep)
I receive this massage

"The component "Microsoft Exchange Domain Preparation" cannot assigned the
action "domainPrep" because:
-setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active
Directory. The error was:
-Failed to connect the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest

CBIC 11-08-2006 02:48 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

"Get My Certification On Libya"
<GetMyCertificationOnLibya@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1B95448B-B5B6-4AAA-811C-6E2039A7A2F8@microsoft.com...
> Hello
>
> I install the domain controller into the server and create the domain ,

<snipped for brevity>

OK I'm going to help you solve this but before I do you must tell me what
you've already done. What research have you done, sites visited, steps
already tried to correct this problem. I don't run a soup line here. No
handouts but handups.

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?= 11-08-2006 03:03 PM

RE: Exchange install Error

"Get My Certification On Libya" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I install the domain controller into the server and create the domain ,
> after the install the (forestprep) for Exchange server2003 ,and bring new
> computer install windows server 2003 and make this computer member of that
> domain I want to install Exchange Server 2003 I install all services before
> install the Exchange when start to install the Exchange exactly (Domian prep)
> I receive this massage
>

> "The component "Microsoft Exchange Domain Preparation" cannot assigned the
> action "domainPrep" because:
> -setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active
> Directory. The error was:
> -Failed to connect the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest

I have no idea what are you talking about. You need to rewrite your
statement so everybody could understand. However, there are few steps you
should know about installing Exchange (been there myself).
1. You have to be member of Enterprise Administrator, Schema Administrator,
Domain Administrator, Local Administrator, and Exchange Full Administrator
roles.
2. Run ForestPrep only on the computer holding Schema Master role (usually
is the PDC).
3. Wait at least 2 hours for AD replication occur, or go to AD site and
services and force a replication.
4. Verify that AD replication has finished.
5. Run DomainPrep on all domain controllers.
6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC or
members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full Exchange
Administrator role.
7. Now you can install Exchange.

My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
replication going on. Good luck

BD[MCNGP] 11-08-2006 03:10 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

I've found that when installing the Small Business Server version, you can
pretty much bypass most of that. SBS made life so much easier. ;)

NOT that this has anything to do with installing the full version of Exch,
I'm just saying...

CBIC 11-08-2006 03:11 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

"Dragon Without Wings" <DragonDance@LordofTheRing.com> wrote in message

> My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
> replication going on. Good luck

Now that's a handout. How is the OP ever going to learn anything if you
spoon feed him. IMO anyone installing Exchange should know better than to
look for help in an MCSE cert NG.

Briscobar 11-08-2006 08:40 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

"Dragon Without Wings" <DragonDance@LordofTheRing.com> wrote in message

> 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC
> or
> members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
> Exchange
> Administrator role.

By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go find a
DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can play
with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
might as well install Exchange on a DC.

> My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
> replication going on. Good luck

Echo.

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?= 11-08-2006 08:53 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

"Briscobar" wrote:

> "Dragon Without Wings" <DragonDance@LordofTheRing.com> wrote in message
> >
> > 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC
> > or
> > members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
> > Exchange
> > Administrator role.

> By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
> Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go find a
> DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can play
> with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
> Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
> might as well install Exchange on a DC.
>
> > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
> > replication going on. Good luck

> Echo.

That's true. However, I have seen lot of people install Exchange on primary
domain controller (NT 4.0), or just like you said domain controller, instead
of install it on a member server or a desktop with server O.S. running on it.
SBS I assum is easier to install Exchange because itselft already function
as an email server. Am I right?

Briscobar 11-08-2006 09:52 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

> "Briscobar" wrote:
>

>> "Dragon Without Wings" <DragonDance@LordofTheRing.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the
>> > PDC
>> > or
>> > members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
>> > Exchange
>> > Administrator role.

>> By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
>> Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go
>> find a
>> DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can
>> play
>> with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
>> Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
>> might as well install Exchange on a DC.
>>
>> > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of
>> > AD
>> > replication going on. Good luck

>> Echo.
>>

> That's true. However, I have seen lot of people install Exchange on
> primary
> domain controller (NT 4.0), or just like you said domain controller,
> instead
> of install it on a member server or a desktop with server O.S. running on
> it.
> SBS I assum is easier to install Exchange because itselft already function
> as an email server. Am I right?

I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS running
on it IS a server. As long as its hardware specs allow it to run Exchange
(and Windows Server 2003, or any other compatible Server OS), it can be an
exchange server. It doesn't have to be a multi-processor, 8GB RAM, a TB of
RAID 10 storage. It can be a high end desktop machine with Server 2003 on
it, and it will run a small Exchange environment just fine. In fact, I have
that at my house.

We had Exchange 5.5 installed on a DC here, and when we moved to 2003, we
had some issues with OWA. So we had to call up MS. While on the phone, they
relayed to us that they reccommend installing Exchange 2003 on a member
server, not a DC. So since it was still Saturday morning and no one needed
email until Monday, we figured what the heck, let's do it right. So we moved
it to a Member Server. Honestly, we have only about 100 users, so we have a
small setup. Thus, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the way
Exchange behaves, or the network in general. But whatever, we're up to snuff
as far as MS is concerned.

KB

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?= 11-09-2006 04:43 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

"Briscobar" wrote:

> I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS running
> on it IS a server.

That's is true. However, notice how I said: MEMBER server (which is a
secondary or backup domain controller), and a desktop with a server OS
running on it (which as you said is a server). Those are totally 2 different
things. One is with AD and the other isn't. Am I right :-)

As long as its hardware specs allow it to run Exchange
> (and Windows Server 2003, or any other compatible Server OS), it can be an
> exchange server. It doesn't have to be a multi-processor, 8GB RAM, a TB of
> RAID 10 storage. It can be a high end desktop machine with Server 2003 on
> it, and it will run a small Exchange environment just fine. In fact, I have
> that at my house.

Totally agree.

Briscobar 11-09-2006 05:18 PM

Re: Exchange install Error

> "Briscobar" wrote:
>
>> I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS
>> running
>> on it IS a server.

> That's is true. However, notice how I said: MEMBER server (which is a
> secondary or backup domain controller), and a desktop with a server OS
> running on it (which as you said is a server). Those are totally 2
> different
> things. One is with AD and the other isn't. Am I right :-)

Not exactly. Are you still stuck in the NT4 days? Because there are no PDCs
and BDCs anymore. There are PDC emulators, but that's only for the folks
still running NT. A server that's had dcpromo run on it, and hence has AD,
is a Domain Controller. Plain old DC. Not a BDC or PDC. A Windows 2000
Server or Windows Server 2003 machine that has not been promoted to a DC
does not have AD installed. It is just a member server. It's a member of the
AD domain, but it's not doing anything with AD (unless it's something like
an Exchange Server, which uses AD, but doesn't necessarily have AD
installed).