Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   MCSE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f25-mcse.html)
-   -   Redirect network drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375732-redirect-network-drive.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBUZWxlc2Nv?= 11-07-2006 06:36 PM

Redirect network drive
 
We have a new file server and I'm looking for a simple way to re-direct the
current shortcuts on over 250 computers to the new location.

Example - on each desktop there is a shortcut to the current location (\\old
server\documents) and they need to go to (\\new server\documents)

Any suggetions on doing this without having to hit each user's machine? The
old server is Server 2000 SR4 and the new one is Server 2003 with all the
newest whistles and bells.
--
The meaning of life? Easy - You ain''t dead yet!

CBIC 11-07-2006 06:55 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 

"Paul Telesco" <PaulTelesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F46A37D2-3A46-4FE4-B2E1-DD6837242AF3@microsoft.com...
> We have a new file server and I'm looking for a simple way to re-direct
> the
> current shortcuts on over 250 computers to the new location.
>
> Example - on each desktop there is a shortcut to the current location
> (\\old
> server\documents) and they need to go to (\\new server\documents)
>
> Any suggetions on doing this without having to hit each user's machine?
> The
> old server is Server 2000 SR4 and the new one is Server 2003 with all the
> newest whistles and bells.



I must be missing something here but can't you just modify the login script?



BD[MCNGP] 11-07-2006 07:13 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 


"CBIC" <spam.thisbiotch@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OGIKK6pAHHA.4292@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> "Paul Telesco" <PaulTelesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F46A37D2-3A46-4FE4-B2E1-DD6837242AF3@microsoft.com...
>> We have a new file server and I'm looking for a simple way to re-direct
>> the
>> current shortcuts on over 250 computers to the new location.
>>
>> Example - on each desktop there is a shortcut to the current location
>> (\\old
>> server\documents) and they need to go to (\\new server\documents)
>>
>> Any suggetions on doing this without having to hit each user's machine?
>> The
>> old server is Server 2000 SR4 and the new one is Server 2003 with all the
>> newest whistles and bells.

>
>
> I must be missing something here but can't you just modify the login
> script?

That's what I was thinking too.

You DO have a login script, don't you?


CBIC 11-07-2006 07:14 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 

"BD[MCNGP]" <CertGuard> wrote in message
news:eF2WDDqAHHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> You DO have a login script, don't you?


You don't suppose he's googling "login script" at this moment do you?



=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBUZWxlc2Nv?= 11-07-2006 07:32 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 
Well, if terminal services wasn't scerwed up by one of the two previous
admins, I'd not have a problem. I have to write login scripts and get them
working without terminal services beig installed on that server - and yes,
I've tried to activate it but somewhere along the way before i got into this
company, it got removed - don't ask me how as I'm not the one who was here
when it happened.

And in general I think I'll just take care of the problem myself. The folks
here seem to be more interested in being smart asses than helpful. Thanks for
at least asking an intelligent question. I should have included more detail
to start with to avoid the clowns.
--
The meaning of life? Easy - You ain''''t dead yet!


"CBIC" wrote:

>
> "Paul Telesco" <PaulTelesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F46A37D2-3A46-4FE4-B2E1-DD6837242AF3@microsoft.com...
> > We have a new file server and I'm looking for a simple way to re-direct
> > the
> > current shortcuts on over 250 computers to the new location.
> >
> > Example - on each desktop there is a shortcut to the current location
> > (\\old
> > server\documents) and they need to go to (\\new server\documents)
> >
> > Any suggetions on doing this without having to hit each user's machine?
> > The
> > old server is Server 2000 SR4 and the new one is Server 2003 with all the
> > newest whistles and bells.

>
>
> I must be missing something here but can't you just modify the login script?
>
>
>


BD[MCNGP] 11-07-2006 07:33 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 


"CBIC" <spam.thisbiotch@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OURUtEqAHHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> "BD[MCNGP]" <CertGuard> wrote in message
> news:eF2WDDqAHHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> You DO have a login script, don't you?

>
> You don't suppose he's googling "login script" at this moment do you?

Nah...he couldn't be that stupid.



I'll bet he's googling 'googling'


CBIC 11-07-2006 07:42 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 

"BD[MCNGP]" <CertGuard> wrote in message
news:%23eSvNOqAHHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I'll bet he's googling 'googling'


TMMBD (made my birthday)



=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?= 11-07-2006 07:43 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 
"Paul Telesco" wrote:

> Well, if terminal services wasn't scerwed up by one of the two previous
> admins, I'd not have a problem. I have to write login scripts and get them
> working without terminal services beig installed on that server - and yes,
> I've tried to activate it but somewhere along the way before i got into this
> company, it got removed - don't ask me how as I'm not the one who was here
> when it happened.
>


Just rewrite the login script, it won't take long though. Have you ever
thought about DFS?

CBIC 11-07-2006 07:44 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 

"Paul Telesco" <PaulTelesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:086A4D42-6019-4F0A-912B-15F834BCE4C6@microsoft.com...
> Well, if terminal services wasn't scerwed up by one of the two previous
> admins, I'd not have a problem. I have to write login scripts and get them
> working without terminal services beig installed on that server - and yes,
> I've tried to activate it but somewhere along the way before i got into
> this
> company, it got removed - don't ask me how as I'm not the one who was
> here
> when it happened.
>
> And in general I think I'll just take care of the problem myself. The
> folks
> here seem to be more interested in being smart asses than helpful. Thanks
> for
> at least asking an intelligent question. I should have included more
> detail
> to start with to avoid the clowns.


Hey don't be mad at me. I'm not the one who screwed up your TS AND I'm not
the one who didn't include pertinent info in the original post.
BTW YSB AYB



CBIC 11-07-2006 07:46 PM

Re: Redirect network drive
 

"Dragon Without Wings" <DragonDance@LordofTheRing.com> wrote in message
news:52F4E75D-73AF-4DEE-A51B-09AD07F1DA34@microsoft.com...
> "Paul Telesco" wrote:
>
>> Well, if terminal services wasn't scerwed up by one of the two previous
>> admins, I'd not have a problem. I have to write login scripts and get
>> them
>> working without terminal services beig installed on that server - and
>> yes,
>> I've tried to activate it but somewhere along the way before i got into
>> this
>> company, it got removed - don't ask me how as I'm not the one who was
>> here
>> when it happened.
>>

>
> Just rewrite the login script, it won't take long though. Have you ever
> thought about DFS?


Oh dear, I'm afraid you've confused him now.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.