Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multisource Signal workaround (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375372-multisource-signal-workaround.html)

RishiD 10-30-2006 06:06 PM

Multisource Signal workaround

Hi,

Making a FSM in VHDL. Problem is my tlCount and pauseCount has two
drivers, one in state_reg process and one in the next_state_logic
process. I cannot seem a good way to fix this but still keep them
seperated, I don't want to combine the state_reg process and
next_state_logic process into one. Need to keep the code clean.

Thanks for the help,

Rishi

state_reg:
process (clk, reset) begin
if (reset = '1') then
CURRENT_STATE <= Zero;
tlCount <= 0;
pauseCount <= 0;
elsif (clk'event and clk = '1') then
CURRENT_STATE <= NEXT_STATE;
tlCount <= tlCount + 1;
pauseCount <= pauseCount + 1;
end if;
end process;

next_state_logic:
process (CURRENT_STATE, NSsensor, EWsensor) begin
case CURRENT_STATE is
when Zero => NEXT_STATE <= NSg;
when NSg =>
if (tlCount >= 30 and EWsensor) then
NEXT_STATE <= NSpause;
pauseCount <= 0;
elsif (tlCount = 60) then
NEXT_STATE <= NSy;
tlCount <= 0;
else
NEXT_STATE <= NSg;
end if;
end case;
end process;

output_logic:
process (CURRENT_STATE) begin .....

Andy Peters 10-30-2006 06:58 PM

Re: Multisource Signal workaround

RishiD wrote:
> Making a FSM in VHDL. Problem is my tlCount and pauseCount has two
> drivers, one in state_reg process and one in the next_state_logic
> process. I cannot seem a good way to fix this but still keep them
> seperated,

> I don't want to combine the state_reg process and
> next_state_logic process into one.

Why not? It makes the most sense.

-a

KJ 10-30-2006 07:01 PM

RishiD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Making a FSM in VHDL. Problem is my tlCount and pauseCount has two
> drivers, one in state_reg process and one in the next_state_logic
> process.

Can't do that.
> I cannot seem a good way to fix this but still keep them
> seperated,

Keep trying until you do. Your choices are:
1. Combine them into a single process
2. Have each process generate new signals that then get used by yet
another process to update tlCount and pauseCount instead of having each
process try to update them directly.

> I don't want to combine the state_reg process and
> next_state_logic process into one. Need to keep the code clean.

'Cleaniness' is at best second priority to 'working'.

Might also want to get rid of any unclocked processes and lump them
into clocked one...generally that makes thing cleaner in my book.

KJ

RishiD 10-30-2006 07:04 PM

Re: Multisource Signal workaround

Thanks for the input. Did some further thinking and the most logical
way is to combined the processes.

RishiD

shrinath 11-02-2006 12:00 PM

Re: Multisource Signal workaround

Try to write same in single process

like this

[...]

i think this will solve the multisourcing,

shreenath