Velocity Reviews

-   -   FF 2.0: Any faster? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375195-ff-2-0-any-faster.html)

Fid 10-26-2006 11:52 PM

FF 2.0: Any faster?

Anyone know if there were there any improvements in speed made in 2.0?

Leonidas Jones 10-27-2006 02:41 AM

Re: FF 2.0: Any faster?

Fid wrote:
> Anyone know if there were there any improvements in speed made in 2.0?

I've heard tell that some Windows folks find it loads slower. No
difference on a Mac, at least from here.

Most reports are that once its loaded, page rendering is noticeably
faster. ON a cable modem here, 1,5 was fast, 2.0 is fast. I think I
would need a stopwatch calibrated in hundredths to tell.

It can depend on the kind of site you visit. I don't do games, I don't
often watch streaming video, so my demands are lighter then many other
folks.

Lee

FoxWolfie Galen 10-27-2006 06:21 AM

Re: FF 2.0: Any faster?

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:41:25 GMT, Leonidas Jones <Cap1MD@att.net> wrote:

> Fid wrote:
> > Anyone know if there were there any improvements in speed made in
> > 2.0?

> I've heard tell that some Windows folks find it loads slower. No
> difference on a Mac, at least from here.

Firefox 2.0 loads in about 4 seconds on my Pentium II 233mHz system. That's
about the same as 1.5. Some pages load a bit faster in 2.0, while others
remain the same as in 1.5. Nothing in 2.0 seems to load slower though.

The spell checker and built in undo close tab are great, and they added
these without impacting the speed at all. The scroll arrows for the tab bar
were a major annoyance, but I figured out how to prevent them from showing
until there are really lots of tabs open. At the very least, there should
be options under the tab settings to go back to 1.5 style tabs. Aside from
the tabs, everything else in Firefox 2.0 has been either the same or an
improvement over 1.5 - including the speed. :)

Snooky 10-27-2006 08:52 AM

Re: FF 2.0: Any faster?

Fid wrote:
> Anyone know if there were there any improvements in speed made in 2.0?

It SEEMS faster on my system (Pentium 1.7Ghz, 256meg ram).

Jerry McEwen 10-27-2006 11:05 PM

Re: FF 2.0: Any faster?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:52:54 -0400, Fid <Fid@ethereal.org> wrote:

> Anyone know if there were there any improvements in speed made in 2.0?

FF 2.0 is definitely faster for me on P4 1.8, 1 GIG RAM.