Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless network & boot delay (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t375030-wireless-network-and-boot-delay.html)

Allan Jeal 10-24-2006 01:42 AM

Wireless network & boot delay

Any explanations available? If my WLAN switch is enabled and the Wireless
Access Point is ON, my notebook boots up in 60 seconds. If either of them is
OFF then my notebook takes 3 minutes to boot up. Why?
The notebook is a Compaq presario V5000 (with XP Pro SP2 and all current
updates) with inbuilt wireless networking and properties shows it as Intel
PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless connection. The Welcome screen is displayed
promptly, the "music" is played promptly, my background is displayed
promptly, and then it all has a rest before the icons appear. It would seem
to be something to do with the wireless network. Having the wireless ready
is the only way to avoid a long delay - connecting a network cable doesn't
improve boot time. I don't think it is an application trying to get an
update because no applications have been loaded by the time the delay
happens. I have recently added an external drive but what has that got to do
with the wireless network - anyway disconnecting it doesn't help.
What diagnostic tools would help to identify the problem (and maybe correct
it too)?
Grey Nomad.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-24-2006 03:39 AM

Re: Wireless network & boot delay

Hi

If you have components that are, Network related and are looked for at Boot,
the Network has to be On Otherwise, the components (like auto updates)
trying (for no avail) to connect to the Network and delay the boot process.

Jack (MVP-Networking).