Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t374726-newbie-needs-help-adding-laptop-to-home-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U1JT?= 10-17-2006 02:29 PM

Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

I know...this should be simple. I have a home network set up with two
desktops. Both desktops are hard wired into a wireless router. (I havew a
wireless router so when my college kids come home they can use the internet
on their laptops.)

Now...we've purchased a new HP laptop. It instantly recognized the wireless
router so we can go on the web. But...how do I go about adding this new
laptop to the network so it can share files/printers from the two desktops
already connected to the network?

Everything says to run the network wizard, but the questions the wizard asks
makes it sound as though I'm building a NEW network. All I want to do is add
this new laptop to the network so it can use the existing printers and pull
up files from the desktops.

Am I being stupid? This should be easy, right?

Thanks!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-17-2006 03:06 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Doug Sherman [MVP] 10-17-2006 03:12 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

Yes, it should be easy. If HP has not altered the default Windows settings,
you should be able to simply join the laptop to the workgroup and if the
Windows Firewall is enabled, check the box to enable an exception for File
and Printer Sharing - Done. EXCEPT - just about every new laptop comes with
Norton, McAfee or some other third party security software. Usually the
default configuration for these products is to block everything except the
Internet. You will have to consult your manual/help files to determine how
to enable networking with these products.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

David Hettel 10-17-2006 03:26 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

You'll need to open Network Connections, here you should see icons for your
NICs (Network Interface Cards) on your wireless card, right click on it and
then click on properties. In the new window that opens you should see,
"Client for Microsoft Networks" this must be checked. Scroll down until you
see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) select this by clicking on it, and then click
on properties.

On the new window (under General tab) "Obtain an IP address automatically"
should be checked. As should "Obtain DNS server address automatically" Click
"OK" window will close.

Clicked on the Advanced tab at the top of the Wireless Network Connection
Properties window, then under Windows Firewall click on Settings...

On the General tab "On (recommended)" should be checked.
On the Exceptions tab you should see, File and Printer Sharing checked
Click "OK" window closes.

If the Desktops are running Windows XP Pro, you'll need to add the User name
and account password for the laptop to the Desktop users. And you'll need to
click on the folders you are sharing and permissions, and add the laptop
user to the permission list and also under the Security tab.

How to set up a home network -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx

David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

=?Utf-8?B?U1JT?= 10-17-2006 06:24 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

Thank you Jack, Doug and David!

I'll give these suggestions a try tonight and let you know.

Wish me luck..........

=?Utf-8?B?U1JT?= 10-18-2006 02:19 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

Thanks guys!
Network is up and running!!!!!!

David Hettel 10-18-2006 06:28 PM

Re: Newbie needs help adding laptop to home network

You are more than welcome. Glad you got it up and running. :)