Velocity Reviews

-   -   What is going on...? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t374547-what-is-going-on.html)

Dustbin 10-13-2006 12:38 AM

What is going on...?

Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be
time to undate my copy of Mozilla Suite. I am
currently on 1.7.13.

I could not find the usual down load link for
mozilla and found that 1.7.13 remains the latest
release of Mozilla suite.

There appears to be an attempt to move us
(whether we like it or not) to Firefox.

Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy,
insecure and less facilitous. I don't want to
give up on Mozilla Suite.

Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it
wrong and just not finding the current version
of Mozilla?

D.

Leonidas Jones 10-13-2006 01:25 AM

Re: What is going on...?

Dustbin wrote:
> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy of
> Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
>
> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
>
> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not) to
> Firefox.
>
> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous.
> I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
>
> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
> finding the current version of Mozilla?
>
> D.

Mozilla has been quite up front about dropping support of the Suite.
Its possible we may see a security release on the 1.7 branch, but I
think it highly unlikely.

Have you not heard of SeaMonkey?

A group of developers dedicated to the suite approach have formed the
SeaMonkey Council, which continues suite development under the SeaMonkey
name. Its an independent project with the support of MoFo.

Current release version is 1.0.5. Think of the 1.0 brance as what
Mozilla 1.8 would have been, in the next few months we should be seeing
1.1. 1.1 is in testing stages now, with a beta release coming soon.

Lee

John Thompson 10-13-2006 03:05 AM

Re: What is going on...?

On 2006-10-13, Dustbin <dustbin_address@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be
> time to undate my copy of Mozilla Suite. I am
> currently on 1.7.13.
>
> I could not find the usual down load link for
> mozilla and found that 1.7.13 remains the latest
> release of Mozilla suite.
>
> There appears to be an attempt to move us
> (whether we like it or not) to Firefox.
>
> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy,
> insecure and less facilitous. I don't want to
> give up on Mozilla Suite.
>
> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it
> wrong and just not finding the current version
> of Mozilla?

You want seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ "the
application formerly known as 'Mozilla Application Suite.'"

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Dustbin 10-13-2006 02:18 PM

Re: What is going on...?

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Dustbin wrote:
>
>> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy
>> of Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
>>
>> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
>> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
>>
>> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not)
>> to Firefox.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
>> facilitous. I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
>>
>> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
>> finding the current version of Mozilla?
>>
>> D.

> Mozilla has been quite up front about dropping support of the Suite. Its
> possible we may see a security release on the 1.7 branch, but I think it
> highly unlikely.
>
> Have you not heard of SeaMonkey?

I only visit the site for updates occasionally.
Yes I have seen references to SeaMonkey but did
not know what it was. I'll take a look.

THX

D.

--
=======================
Women have spent the last

Dustbin 10-13-2006 02:53 PM

Sea Monkay

Dustbin wrote:
> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy of
> Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
>
> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
>
> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not) to
> Firefox.
>
> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous.
> I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
>
> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
> finding the current version of Mozilla?

Got Sea Monkey.

Seems to be Mozilla with a few logo changes.

Since I installed it a few minutes ago I haven't
put it through its paces but it seems Okay.

Must admit I am absolutely knocked out by the
spell-check as you go. But it does say that
Mozilla and Okay mis-spell !!! When I
right-clicked on Mozilla it offered Godzilla ;-)

THX 4 Help.

D.

--
=======================
Women have spent the last

Leonidas Jones 10-13-2006 04:27 PM

Re: Sea Monkay

Dustbin wrote:
> Dustbin wrote:
>> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy
>> of Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
>>
>> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
>> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
>>
>> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not)
>> to Firefox.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
>> facilitous. I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
>>
>> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
>> finding the current version of Mozilla?
>>

> Got Sea Monkey.
>
> Seems to be Mozilla with a few logo changes.
>
> Since I installed it a few minutes ago I haven't put it through its
> paces but it seems Okay.
>
> Must admit I am absolutely knocked out by the spell-check as you go. But
> it does say that Mozilla and Okay mis-spell !!! When I right-clicked on
> Mozilla it offered Godzilla ;-)
>
> THX 4 Help.
>
> D.

All the Mozilla based products are works in progress. Spell check is
due for a major upgrade, probably in the SM 1.1 series, or maybe next.

Future plans include an XUL based SeaMonkey that will have customizable
toolbars, ala Firefox, an Extension Manager built in ala Firefox, and
make it much easier to port extensions over to the suite.

Lee

Olgierd 10-13-2006 09:15 PM

Re: What is going on...?

Osoba przedstawiająca się jako *Dustbin* stuknęła w klawisze i oto co
powstało:

> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous. I
> don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
into the 'insecure' Firefox.
Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a Seamonkey
hole too.

--
pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
|| JID:olgierd@jabber.org || http://olgierd.wordpress.com ||

Leonidas Jones 10-14-2006 12:18 AM

Re: What is going on...?

Olgierd wrote:
> Osoba przedstawiająca się jako *Dustbin* stuknęła w klawisze i oto co
> powstało:
>
>> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous. I
>> don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

> But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
> into the 'insecure' Firefox.
> Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a Seamonkey
> hole too.

Well, we could argue about where the holes are actually located, but
lets not go there. If you're going to throw stones, provide some
documentation.

SeaMonkey is *not* based on the Firefox code. Rather, both are based on
the gecko trunk code. FF 1.5 and SM 1.0 are based on the 1.8 branch of
the trunk.

Lee

Leonidas Jones 10-14-2006 03:53 AM

Re: What is going on...?

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Olgierd wrote:
>> Osoba przedstawiająca się jako *Dustbin* stuknęła w klawisze i oto co
>> powstało:
>>
>>> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
>>> facilitous. I
>>> don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

>> But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
>> into the 'insecure' Firefox.
>> Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a
>> Seamonkey
>> hole too.
>>

> Well, we could argue about where the holes are actually located, but
> lets not go there. If you're going to throw stones, provide some
> documentation.
>
> SeaMonkey is *not* based on the Firefox code. Rather, both are based on
> the gecko trunk code. FF 1.5 and SM 1.0 are based on the 1.8 branch of
> the trunk.
>
> Lee

I suspect our friend Olgierd is referring to the following:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6121608.html

Which is an admitted hoax:

It there are other references, it would be a worthwhile discussion.
This one has been put to bed.

Lee

Olgierd 10-14-2006 08:18 AM

Re: What is going on...?

Osoba przedstawiająca się jako *Leonidas Jones* stuknęła w klawisze i
oto co powstało:

> I suspect our friend Olgierd is referring to the following:
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6121608.html
>
> Which is an admitted hoax:
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6015/53/
>
> It there are other references, it would be a worthwhile discussion. This
> one has been put to bed.

Well, I didn't mean any existing bug, just 'any bug' to occur in Gecko
engine in the future.
And you're right, of course I should have said 'based on Gecko code' not
'Fx code'.
So if there's a hole in Gecko 1.8 engine, it shall occur in Firefox as
well as in Seamonkey.