Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disable Wifi (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t374265-disable-wifi.html)

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?= 10-07-2006 03:24 AM

Disable Wifi

I would like to know if there is any way to disable my laptop's wifi. I
don't want to be able to pick up other unsecured networks to surf internet.
I went into Device Manager and disabled it, but upon boot, it is enabled
again. Also, I'm unable to remove the card since it's internal. The laptop
is a Dell Inspiron.

Is there anyway (or is this possible)?

Thanks in advance.

LittleMoo 10-07-2006 04:05 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

Just so long as you don't connect to those unsecured networks then you don't
have anything to worry about, only connect to yours and make sure that you
have WEP or WPA enabled on it.

You also realize that if you disable your wifi on your laptop, if you use a
wireless network at your house then you won't be able to use it anymore?

If you still want to disable it go to Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Right click on the one that says Wireless Network Connection and choose
Disable.

-Dan

Sooner Al [MVP] 10-07-2006 10:44 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

If your running XP you can configure Wireless Zero Configuration to *NOT*
connect to non-preferred networks. That works well for me...

http://tinyurl.com/krjwt

In the example I have my laptop configured for three networks I regualarly
connect to including my own, N4RF...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-07-2006 05:16 PM

Re: Disable Wifi

Hi
Uninstall any Wireless related utility, and similar services. Many Laptops
come with an array of "software" that is Wireless related, and is loaded at
startup by default.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Pavel A. 10-07-2006 05:43 PM

Re: Disable Wifi

"bronxbabe" <bronxbabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6084083-C7C7-41E3-82EF-D96B540CAC83@microsoft.com...
>I would like to know if there is any way to disable my laptop's wifi. I
> don't want to be able to pick up other unsecured networks to surf internet.
> I went into Device Manager and disabled it, but upon boot, it is enabled
> again. Also, I'm unable to remove the card since it's internal. The laptop
> is a Dell Inspiron.
>
> Is there anyway (or is this possible)?

This is strange. AFAIK if you disable it in dev. manager, nothing in standard WinXP can
re-enable it - unless Windows crashed and rebooted with last known good config.
I would ask Dell support whether some their bundled utility can do this.

Also you can turn off the radio. Most notebooks have some switch or Fn key that
disables wireless radio. This is intended exactly for situations when software
could break out of control.

Regards,
--PA

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?= 10-08-2006 02:18 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

I'll try this and see what happens. The reason for this is that I don't want
my son to use the internet excessively. So, I disconnected my wireless
router, but he is able to pick a neighbor's linksys (unsecured) signal and
surf.

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?= 10-08-2006 02:21 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

I don't want it to connect to my home network or my neighbor's. I don't want
the laptop to be able to connect to the internet AT ALL.

Thanks again,

Sooner Al [MVP] 10-08-2006 11:14 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

That is a bit different from what I thought your original intent was...

In that case I suggest you setup your son as a limited user and use parental
control software on the laptop to control his access to both the PC and the
public internet. You might check with your ISP because they may provide that
for free or at a reduced cost. Here is how I did that as one example...

NetNanny is another solution...note there are other commercial solutions
like this...

http://www.netnanny.com/p/page?sb=product

The MS Shared Computer Toolkit may also work for you...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

Rich 10-08-2006 01:25 PM

Re: Disable Wifi

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 06:14:54 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>That is a bit different from what I thought your original intent was...
>
>In that case I suggest you setup your son as a limited user and use parental
>control software on the laptop to control his access to both the PC and the
>public internet. You might check with your ISP because they may provide that
>for free or at a reduced cost. Here is how I did that as one example...
>
>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13574572
>
>NetNanny is another solution...note there are other commercial solutions
>like this...
>
>http://www.netnanny.com/p/page?sb=product
>
>The MS Shared Computer Toolkit may also work for you...
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

all good ideas that you should look at. but how about a low tech
solution like taking away the laptop and/or exercising a bit of
parental discipline? how abour alerting the neighbor to what's going
on and assisting him, if needed, in securing his system?

73,
rich, n9dko

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?= 10-10-2006 02:51 AM

Re: Disable Wifi

The key here is that he's not using my ISP. I disconnected my router, etc.
He's apparently picking up a neighbor's [unsecured] linksys signal. That's
how he's surfing. I've disabled wireless networking, went into properties,
advanced, auto-connect, etc. but... he's still surfing. i'm quite sure
there has to be a way of disabling his internal wireless card.

Thanks again,