Velocity Reviews

-   -   can't connect new notebook to Home office network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t374107-cant-connect-new-notebook-to-home-office-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?R21hY2hpcA==?= 10-03-2006 11:26 PM

can't connect new notebook to Home office network

I am trying to connect my new notebook to my hoe office network. The notebook
is on the workgroup list of the other computors but I cannot acccess it even
tho I have enabled file and printer sharing. The notebook has none of the
other computors listed on its work group. It will however connect to the
internet using the same connection as the workgroup. What do I do now?

Malke 10-04-2006 12:20 AM

Re: can't connect new notebook to Home office network

Gmachip wrote:

> I am trying to connect my new notebook to my hoe office network. The
> notebook
> is on the workgroup list of the other computors but I cannot acccess
> it even tho I have enabled file and printer sharing. The notebook has
> none of the other computors listed on its work group. It will however
> connect to the internet using the same connection as the workgroup.
> What do I do now?

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers