Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which DECT phone? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t373949-which-dect-phone.html)

Rajil Saraswat 09-30-2006 09:55 PM

Which DECT phone?

I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT phone. My
plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there recommended DECT
phone which works best with VOIP?

Cheers,
Rajil

Ivor Jones 09-30-2006 10:05 PM

Re: Which DECT phone?

"Rajil Saraswat" <rajil.s@spam.me> wrote in message
> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a
> select a DECT phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my
> asterisk server. Is there recommended DECT phone which
> works best with VOIP?
>
> Cheers,
> Rajil

Please yourself. A phone is a phone is a phone as far as the ATA is
concerned.

Ivor

Graham 09-30-2006 10:44 PM

Re: Which DECT phone?

"Rajil Saraswat" <rajil.s@spam.me> wrote in message
>I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT phone. My
> plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there recommended DECT
> phone which works best with VOIP?
>
> Cheers,
> Rajil

I also have a PAP2 and an Asterisk box.
I have two dect bases, one on each port (his and hers)
When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

My only slight regret is the caller display is rather basic, only displaying
digits,
and as most voip numbers get truncated as the display cant show a full
length
international number.

When I plugged a stand-alone BT Caller Display unit into the PAP2
I was suprised to see that the station name and the number were passed
from Asterisk on internal calls, I imagine a better DECT phone would
display these too.

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 09-30-2006 11:18 PM

Re: Which DECT phone?

Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
> phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
> recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
>
> Cheers,
> Rajil

Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.

I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller Display
on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find which phones
had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a loud handsfree
that doesn't cut in and out.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Mr Man 09-30-2006 11:30 PM

Re: Which DECT phone?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
>> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
>> phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
>> recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rajil

> Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
>
> I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller Display
> on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find which phones
> had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a loud handsfree
> that doesn't cut in and out.

I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller ID
etc. works fine!

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 09-30-2006 11:47 PM

Re: Which DECT phone?

Thus spaketh Mr Man:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>> Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
>>> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
>>> phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
>>> recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Rajil

>> Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
>>
>> I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller
>> Display on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find
>> which phones had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a
>> loud handsfree that doesn't cut in and out.
>>

> I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller
> ID etc. works fine!

A couple of friends had Panasonics, I found the ear-piece volume was
very low, are the ones you have fine in this respect?

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Mr Man 10-01-2006 10:37 AM

Re: Which DECT phone?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Thus spaketh Mr Man:
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>>> Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:

>>> Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
>>>
>>> I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller
>>> Display on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find
>>> which phones had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a
>>> loud handsfree that doesn't cut in and out.
>>>

>> I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller
>> ID etc. works fine!

> A couple of friends had Panasonics, I found the ear-piece volume was
> very low, are the ones you have fine in this respect?

Yes, i find the ear-piece fine. I also use them with a headset at times,
Very handy!

Handsfree on them is loud, if your just listeninging to things, but i
dont think anyone knows of a phone which does handsfree very well for
conversations! Thats why i have a headset!

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 10-01-2006 11:03 AM

Re: Which DECT phone?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <me@privacy.com> wrote:

>When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
> each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

And total crap .

Gordon Henderson 10-01-2006 11:29 AM

Re: Which DECT phone?

In article <338vh2d9t07m5o6vs49rbohirl99nrb8v7@4ax.com>,
<M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <me@privacy.com> wrote:
>

>>When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
>> each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

>And total crap .

I got a BT Studio 1100 recently when testing some things in the office, and
I have to say for 19.99 out of my local Euronics shop it's bloody good!

No answering machine, but caller ID works fine, and it passes
alpha calling ID through too when hooked up to my asterisk system
on a Digium card. Speech quality is excellent, and it also has a
message-waiting-indicator, (little reel-to-reel tape icon in the display)
and I've absolutely no idea how it's working, but my asterisk system
manages to set it when there is voicemail waiting for that extension.

The only down-side, and it's not really an issue is that it's a shade
warm when used right off the cradle, but otherwise, (and much as I hate
BT!) I'd give it top marks.

Gordon

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 10-01-2006 11:47 AM

Re: Which DECT phone?

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:29:12 +0000 (UTC), gordon@lion.drogon.net
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

>In article <338vh2d9t07m5o6vs49rbohirl99nrb8v7@4ax.com>,
> <M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <me@privacy.com> wrote:
>>

>>>When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
>>> each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

>>And total crap .

>I got a BT Studio 1100 recently when testing some things in the office, and
>I have to say for 19.99 out of my local Euronics shop it's bloody good!

I have the BT Diverse X10 and again very good I also know quite a few
people who have various models of BT phones and say they are good
also.