Velocity Reviews

-   -   +1 QOTW (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t373411-1-qotw.html)

olsongt@verizon.net 09-22-2006 04:35 PM

+1 QOTW

Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
statement:

Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.

In the state of the onion address?

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

Terry Reedy 09-22-2006 06:05 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

<olsongt@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:1158942909.066705.245650@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
> Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> statement:
>
> Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
>
> In the state of the onion address?
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

There is also this:
'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

James Stroud 09-22-2006 08:14 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

Terry Reedy wrote:
> <olsongt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:1158942909.066705.245650@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
>
>>Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
>>statement:
>>
>>Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
>>
>>In the state of the onion address?
>>
>>http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

> There is also this:
> 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

This reminds me of when I realized I could become more efficeint as
stocker in a warehouse by implementing a "wherever inventory system".

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Paddy 09-22-2006 09:08 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

olsongt@verizon.net wrote:
> Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> statement:
>
> Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
>
> In the state of the onion address?
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

-3 on QOTW !
The whole article is as he describes it in the opening paragraph, a
rambling strole through whatever took his fancy . Of no great weight
and so the -3.
Good luck to Larry on Perl 6 though.

mensanator@aol.com 09-22-2006 10:00 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

James Stroud wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
> > <olsongt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > news:1158942909.066705.245650@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
> >
> >>Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> >>statement:
> >>
> >>Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
> >>
> >>In the state of the onion address?
> >>
> >>http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

> > There is also this:
> > 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

> This reminds me of when I realized I could become more efficeint as
> stocker in a warehouse by implementing a "wherever inventory system".

Was fetching the items stocked someone else's job?

Ray 09-23-2006 03:31 AM

Re: +1 QOTW

olsongt@verizon.net wrote:
> Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> statement:
>
> Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.

Perl? Larry who?

(I've been going to a hypnotherapist who specializes in erasing bad
memories of the past, sorry.)

Michael J. Fromberger 09-23-2006 01:25 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

In article <mailman.473.1158948412.10491.python-list@python.org>,
"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy@udel.edu> wrote:

> <olsongt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:1158942909.066705.245650@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
> > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> > statement:
> >
> > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
> >
> > In the state of the onion address?
> >
> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

> There is also this:
> 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

But what this really means, in practise, is "dis-oriented programming."

-M

--
Michael J. Fromberger | Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sting/ | Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA

Georg Brandl 09-24-2006 06:08 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

Michael J. Fromberger wrote:
> In article <mailman.473.1158948412.10491.python-list@python.org>,
> "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy@udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> <olsongt@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:1158942909.066705.245650@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
>> > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
>> > statement:
>> >
>> > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
>> >
>> > In the state of the onion address?
>> >
>> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

>> There is also this:
>> 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

> But what this really means, in practise, is "dis-oriented programming."

I think now we got our QOTW.

Georg

Kay Schluehr 09-24-2006 07:53 PM

Re: +1 QOTW

olsongt@verizon.net wrote:
> Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
> statement:
>
> Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
>
> In the state of the onion address?
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

Think he's just too charming. I never got through Larrys whole
apocalypse. A little weirdness like this one is a great piece but too
much of it is insane.