Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to center text in css ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t373093-how-to-center-text-in-css.html)

richard 09-22-2006 01:17 AM

how to center text in css ?

Actually, I need to know how to put the text in the middle of the division.
As I did with tables.
Vertical-align doesn't seem to be recognized.

www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

Jonathan N. Little 09-22-2006 01:50 AM

Re: how to center text in css ?

richard wrote:
> Actually, I need to know how to put the text in the middle of the division.
> As I did with tables.
> Vertical-align doesn't seem to be recognized.
>
> www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

Look it up for yourself and see why...

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

property: 'vertical-align'
applies to: inline-level and 'table-cell' elements

DIV is neither. You can set DIV to "display: table-cell;" ...but guess
what? You guessed it, it will not work in IE. Other options are padding
and line-height all a bit messy.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard 09-22-2006 03:15 AM

Re: how to center text in css ?

"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@centralva.net> wrote in message
> richard wrote:
>> Actually, I need to know how to put the text in the middle of the
>> division.
>> As I did with tables.
>> Vertical-align doesn't seem to be recognized.
>>
>> www.1-small-world.com/index2.html
>>

> Look it up for yourself and see why...
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html
>
> property: 'vertical-align'
> applies to: inline-level and 'table-cell' elements
>
> DIV is neither. You can set DIV to "display: table-cell;" ...but guess
> what? You guessed it, it will not work in IE. Other options are padding
> and line-height all a bit messy.

Well check this out then

http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html

Works good in both IE and FF.

Jonathan N. Little 09-22-2006 03:56 AM

Re: how to center text in css ?

richard wrote:

> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@centralva.net> wrote in message
>> richard wrote:
>>> Actually, I need to know how to put the text in the middle of the
>>> division.
>>> As I did with tables.
>>> Vertical-align doesn't seem to be recognized.
>>>
>>> www.1-small-world.com/index2.html
>>>

>> Look it up for yourself and see why...
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html
>>
>> property: 'vertical-align'
>> applies to: inline-level and 'table-cell' elements
>>
>> DIV is neither. You can set DIV to "display: table-cell;" ...but guess
>> what? You guessed it, it will not work in IE. Other options are
>> padding and line-height all a bit messy.
>>

> Well check this out then
>
> http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html
>
> Works good in both IE and FF.

As I said a bit messy as opposed to:

DIV.deadcenter {
display: table-cell; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle;
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

richard 09-22-2006 04:14 AM

Re: how to center text in css ?

> richard wrote:
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@centralva.net> wrote in message

>>> Look it up for yourself and see why...
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html
>>>
>>> property: 'vertical-align'
>>> applies to: inline-level and 'table-cell' elements
>>>
>>> DIV is neither. You can set DIV to "display: table-cell;" ...but guess
>>> what? You guessed it, it will not work in IE. Other options are padding
>>> and line-height all a bit messy.
>>>

>> Well check this out then
>>
>> http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html
>>
>> Works good in both IE and FF.
>>

> As I said a bit messy as opposed to:
>
> DIV.deadcenter {
> display: table-cell; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle;
> }

I have tried it and it does not appear to work.
Eventually I may find something that will.

Jonathan N. Little 09-22-2006 01:25 PM

Re: how to center text in css ?

richard wrote:

> I have tried it and it does not appear to work.
> Eventually I may find something that will.

It will *not* work in IE but *does* in "modern" browsers, that was my
point. Therefore if you wish to accommodate Ol'IE you have to resort to
a kludge of nested elements and playing with margins, padding and stuff....

--
Take care,

Jonathan