Velocity Reviews

-   -   Form Table Printing Issue with background colours (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t372412-form-table-printing-issue-with-background-colours.html)

mark 09-22-2006 01:32 PM

Form Table Printing Issue with background colours

Ive created a aspx form using tables and flowlayout, I've set the background
colour on certain
rows, which show great in the browser, however when i use print preview the
colours
have dissapeared,
any ideas ?

cheers

mark

Kevin Spencer 09-22-2006 02:02 PM

Re: Form Table Printing Issue with background colours

You need to configure IE to print backgrounds, which is turned off by
default.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Software Composer
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

A watched clock never boils.

news:3rKdnVcKwu82eI7YnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

mark 09-22-2006 02:42 PM

"Kevin Spencer" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> You need to configure IE to print backgrounds, which is turned off by
> default.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> Software Composer
> http://unclechutney.blogspot.com
>
> A watched clock never boils.

ahh ok, anyway round not doing this ? (itll print backgrounds off on every
page etc)

cheers
mark

Kevin Spencer 09-22-2006 10:38 PM

Re: Form Table Printing Issue with background colours

> ahh ok, anyway round not doing this ? (itll print backgrounds off on every
> page etc)

Well, IE is an application, and it is designed to allow the user to
configure certain things according to the user's desires. So, if background
printing is turned off, it is turned off because the user has decided to
leave it turned off. Now, if you had a servant, and you told the servant to
cook dinner, and a stranger came to your house, and told the servant *not*
to cook dinner, and your servant did what the stranger asked instead of what
you told the servant to do, what would you think of the usefulness of your
servant?

Now, if the stranger asked *you* if he could have the servant stop cooking
dinner, and you said "sure," it would not be improper for your servant to
stop cooking dinner, since the servant is *your* servant. So, if you want
users to turn on background printing in their browsers, I would suggest
putting a message in the page that asks them to.

--

news:eKudneuDVbCoa47YnZ2dnUVZ_tOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

mark 09-25-2006 07:51 AM

Re: Form Table Printing Issue with background colours

> Well, IE is an application, and it is designed to allow the user to
> configure certain things according to the user's desires. So, if
> background printing is turned off, it is turned off because the user has
> decided to leave it turned off. Now, if you had a servant, and you told
> the servant to cook dinner, and a stranger came to your house, and told
> the servant *not* to cook dinner, and your servant did what the stranger
> asked instead of what you told the servant to do, what would you think of
> the usefulness of your servant?
>
> Now, if the stranger asked *you* if he could have the servant stop cooking
> dinner, and you said "sure," it would not be improper for your servant to
> stop cooking dinner, since the servant is *your* servant. So, if you want
> users to turn on background printing in their browsers, I would suggest
> putting a message in the page that asks them to.
>
> --

nice analogy and i totally agree, however i forgot to mention this is for an
intranet :))

mark