Velocity Reviews

-   -   Redundant Design. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t37225-redundant-design.html)

Shaun 01-19-2005 08:08 AM

Redundant Design.

I am attempting to setup a level of redundancy on my network and to m
provider. I went out and bought 2xc3550-24-EI cisco switches an
2xc2950G-48 switches. I plan on using the 2950G-48's as the edge t
my customer and the 3550's for my core/aggrigation. My current setu
looks somthing like this..

------------------------
------------------------

---------- ----------
---------- -----------
---------- ----------
| C2950G | | C2950G
---------- ----------
| |
Customer#1 Customer#
Rack Rac

right now on both 3550's fa 0/1 is connected to my provider and ha
vlan 2 assigned to them. My provider assigned me a /29 and i a
running HSRP. They also told me i should run ospf so that if on
3550 fails the traffic will know of the other path out. I have bee
bugging them alot so i figured i would post here and get your input.
I'm not sure if my confuration is correct

provider assigned me 10.23.174.16/2
There routers are 10.23.174.17 and 10.23.174.18
There virtual router is 10.23.174.1
my ip space is 10.10.36.0/2

Here is my current config..

[code:1:92f16e6d32
3550 #
interface FastEthernet0/
switchport access vlan
switchport mode acces

interface FastEthernet0/
description link to Second 355
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1
switchport mode trun

interface Vlan
ip address 10.23.174.20 255.255.255.24
no ip redirect
standby 1 ip 10.23.174.2
standby 1 timers 2
standby 1 priority 11
standby 1 preempt delay minimum 4

router ospf
log-adjacency-change
redistribute connected subnet
redistribute static subnet
network 10.23.174.16 0.0.0.7 area
default-information originat

3550 #
interface FastEthernet0/
switchport access vlan
switchport mode acces

interface FastEthernet0/
description Link to First 355
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1
switchport mode trun

interface Vlan
ip address 10.23.174.21 255.255.255.24
no ip redirect
standby 1 ip 10.23.174.2
standby 1 timers 2
standby 1 preempt delay minimum 4

router ospf
log-adjacency-change
redistribute connected subnet
redistribute static subnet
network 10.23.174.16 0.0.0.7 area
default-information originat

[/code:1:92f16e6d32

I plan on setting up a etherchannel/portchannel between the 2 3550'
but for now i just have 1 link between them. Also both 3550's are
VTP Server and the 2950's are VTP Client. Right now with the curren
setup it seams to work but i have to add the customers vlan to bot
3550's which seams like the wrong thing to do because i would have
ip conflict since both switches would be trying to say they own th
gateway/vlan ip. Doing HSRP for each customer isnt really a optio
since these 3550's dont support that many HSRP interfaces and i woul
have to give every customer a additional 2 ips.

The reason vlan2 is setup with the HSRP config rather than fa0/1 i
because they told me that if there link went down to one of ther
routers that ospf would go down. I think i may be taking what the
are telling me wrong because when i just read over there responc
he's telling me i need assign a vlan to the trunk that connects the
3550's and then run ospf on that.

I'm just getting so confused. Hopefully somebody can shine some ligh
here. Thanks in advance![/code

Ivan Ostreš 01-19-2005 09:21 AM

Re: Redundant Design.

In article <abGdnVCeSprgiHPcRVn_vA@giganews.com>, shaun.reitan@ndchost-
dot-com.no-spam.invalid says...

I would like to give you some advices, hope you'll find them usefull...

> I plan on setting up a etherchannel/portchannel between the 2 3550's
> but for now i just have 1 link between them. Also both 3550's are a
> VTP Server and the 2950's are VTP Client. Right now with the current
> setup it seams to work but i have to add the customers vlan to both
> 3550's which seams like the wrong thing to do because i would have a
> ip conflict since both switches would be trying to say they own the
> gateway/vlan ip. Doing HSRP for each customer isnt really a option
> since these 3550's dont support that many HSRP interfaces and i would
> have to give every customer a additional 2 ips.

It seems you have a problem that you don't really know what do you want
to do. I would first put requirements on the paper and think about them.
Next, you should find the theoretical solution that would solve that
requirements. Then, you should find appropriate mehanisms that can
accomplish your theoretical solutions.

All this will require a lot of knowledge on high avabillity and
protocols mechanisms so you could define which actual protocols should
you use (is GLBP better than HSRP or VRRP for your purpose? Is ISIS or
BGP better option than OSPF in your envirnoment? Should you connect
servers to both access switches? How to accomplish all this? Why would
you use VTP if trying to achieve High avabillity? Just too many
qustions....)

It is not a trivial mission if you want some usefull results... maybe
engaging a knowlegable consultant would be best in this case...

Just a note: I used to be hack-type person until I've run into a similar
job (much more equipment than yours) and found out it can't be done like
that. I've learned that theory from Telecom systems avability class from
University really can be applied in practice :-).

--
-Ivan.