Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox Default Browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t372042-firefox-default-browser.html)

pixturesk@gmail.com 09-25-2006 01:07 PM

Firefox Default Browser

After installing Firefox 1.5.0.7, Firefox confirms that it is the
default browser. However, I have a number of saved web pages, in My
Document folder, that show an IE icon then open in Internet Explorer.
How can I change these to the Firefox icon so that they will open in
Firefox? Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

Doug G 09-25-2006 04:20 PM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> After installing Firefox 1.5.0.7, Firefox confirms that it is the
> default browser. However, I have a number of saved web pages, in My
> Document folder, that show an IE icon then open in Internet Explorer.
> How can I change these to the Firefox icon so that they will open in
> Firefox? Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

Try restarting your computer.

pixturesk@gmail.com 09-25-2006 07:55 PM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

Doug G wrote:
> pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> > After installing Firefox 1.5.0.7, Firefox confirms that it is the
> > default browser. However, I have a number of saved web pages, in My
> > Document folder, that show an IE icon then open in Internet Explorer.
> > How can I change these to the Firefox icon so that they will open in
> > Firefox? Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.
> >

> Try restarting your computer.

Thanks Doug. Nothing changes when I restart my computer, the same IE
icons appear.

Leonidas Jones 09-25-2006 08:28 PM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> Doug G wrote:
>> pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
>>> After installing Firefox 1.5.0.7, Firefox confirms that it is the
>>> default browser. However, I have a number of saved web pages, in My
>>> Document folder, that show an IE icon then open in Internet Explorer.
>>> How can I change these to the Firefox icon so that they will open in
>>> Firefox? Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.
>>>

>> Try restarting your computer.

> Thanks Doug. Nothing changes when I restart my computer, the same IE
> icons appear.

Right click on one of the files, and choose Open With. In the Open With
dialog, select Firefox if it is in the list. If not, browse to firefox.exe.

Before clicking OK to open the file, check the box for Always use the
selected program for this type of file.

Lee

pixturesk@gmail.com 09-25-2006 11:49 PM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> > Doug G wrote:
> >>>
> >> Try restarting your computer.

> > Thanks Doug. Nothing changes when I restart my computer, the same IE
> > icons appear.
> >

> Right click on one of the files, and choose Open With. In the Open With
> dialog, select Firefox if it is in the list. If not, browse to firefox.exe.
>
> Before clicking OK to open the file, check the box for Always use the
> selected program for this type of file.
>
> Lee

Lee. No luck. Even with your suggestion to check the box for "always
use the selected program for this type of file", the page opens up in
IE. Very Strange. I am using Win98SE, is that a factor? Thanks.

pixturesk@gmail.com 09-26-2006 02:08 AM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
> > pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thanks Doug. Nothing changes when I restart my computer, the same IE
> > > icons appear.
> > >

> > Right click on one of the files, and choose Open With. In the Open With
> > dialog, select Firefox if it is in the list. If not, browse to firefox.exe.
> >
> > Before clicking OK to open the file, check the box for Always use the
> > selected program for this type of file.
> >
> > Lee

> Lee. No luck. Even with your suggestion to check the box for "always
> use the selected program for this type of file", the page opens up in
> IE. Very Strange. I am using Win98SE, is that a factor? Thanks.

Lee. This was really getting to me, so I repair IE6 SP1, the same
problem occurs, then I just delete the IE icons + accompanying folders,
then I have to make Firefox my default browser again, now everything is
working fine again. These IE icons were just not that important so this
course of action, although clumsy, took care of the problem. Thanks for
your help.

Leonidas Jones 09-26-2006 04:00 AM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Right click on one of the files, and choose Open With. In the Open With
>>> dialog, select Firefox if it is in the list. If not, browse to firefox.exe.
>>>
>>> Before clicking OK to open the file, check the box for Always use the
>>> selected program for this type of file.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Lee. No luck. Even with your suggestion to check the box for "always
>> use the selected program for this type of file", the page opens up in
>> IE. Very Strange. I am using Win98SE, is that a factor? Thanks.

> Lee. This was really getting to me, so I repair IE6 SP1, the same
> problem occurs, then I just delete the IE icons + accompanying folders,
> then I have to make Firefox my default browser again, now everything is
> working fine again. These IE icons were just not that important so this
> course of action, although clumsy, took care of the problem. Thanks for
> your help.

Sorry to abandon you. I usually work on Mac's. but I have a couple of
Windows machines at home.

Here I am on 98SE. I realize that you seem to have solved your problem,
but for future reference:

Click My Computer. Drop down the View menu, and select Folder Options.

Drop down the View Menu, and select Folder Options. Select the File
Types Tab.

Scroll down to the HTML extension. Click Edit.

Under Actions, highlight Open. Click the browse button.

Browse to firefox.exe, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Ok out.

You should now see html files associated with Firefox.

Lee

pixturesk@gmail.com 09-26-2006 12:13 PM

Re: Firefox Default Browser

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:
> > pixturesk@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Lee. No luck. Even with your suggestion to check the box for "always
> >> use the selected program for this type of file", the page opens up in
> >> IE. Very Strange. I am using Win98SE, is that a factor? Thanks.

> > Lee. This was really getting to me, so I repair IE6 SP1, the same
> > problem occurs, then I just delete the IE icons + accompanying folders,
> > then I have to make Firefox my default browser again, now everything is
> > working fine again. These IE icons were just not that important so this
> > course of action, although clumsy, took care of the problem. Thanks for
> > your help.
> >

> Sorry to abandon you. I usually work on Mac's. but I have a couple of
> Windows machines at home.
>
> Here I am on 98SE. I realize that you seem to have solved your problem,
> but for future reference:
>
> Click My Computer. Drop down the View menu, and select Folder Options.
>
> Drop down the View Menu, and select Folder Options. Select the File
> Types Tab.
>
> Scroll down to the HTML extension. Click Edit.
>
> Under Actions, highlight Open. Click the browse button.
>
> Browse to firefox.exe, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
>
> Ok out.
>
> You should now see html files associated with Firefox.
>
> Lee

Thanks Lee for jogging my memory on this fix, I just forgot how to get
to this fix. When I repair IE6, then make Firefox my default browser,
the icons actually changed to Firefox but clicking on any of them got
me the message that Firefox cannot locate the page, got me to some
college site of which I was not aware. Then, without notice, after a
couple of computer reboots, everything returns to normal, "THE JOYS OF
COMPUTING". I appreciate your help. Be well, Ken.