Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is your PC HD ready? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t369466-is-your-pc-hd-ready.html)

Larsonist84@gmail.com 09-08-2006 07:30 PM

Is your PC HD ready?

This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
shopping for a new PC.

Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/

"Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
will exceed your current system specs."

Mark Jones 09-08-2006 08:27 PM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

Larsonist84@gmail.com wrote:
> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
> shopping for a new PC.
>
> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
>
> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
> will exceed your current system specs."

I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
them in a relatively high-end PC.

I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
interested.

AZ Nomad 09-08-2006 09:41 PM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <noemail@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Larsonist84@gmail.com wrote:
>> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
>> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
>> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
>> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
>> shopping for a new PC.
>>
>> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
>>
>> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
>> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
>> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
>> will exceed your current system specs."

>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
>them in a relatively high-end PC.

>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
>interested.

I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd video;
a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.

Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
pile of **** that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file and
video requirements.

Alpha 09-08-2006 11:07 PM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <noemail@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Larsonist84@gmail.com wrote:
>>> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
>>> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
>>> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
>>> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
>>> shopping for a new PC.
>>>
>>> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
>>>
>>> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
>>> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
>>> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
>>> will exceed your current system specs."

>>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
>>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
>>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
>>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
>>them in a relatively high-end PC.

>>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
>>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
>>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
>>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
>>interested.

> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
> video;
> a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
> would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
>
> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
> pile of **** that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file
> and
> video requirements.

Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with HD.

Mark Jones 09-08-2006 11:28 PM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

AZ Nomad wrote:
> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle
> dvd video; a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe
> a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4 would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
>
> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a
> steaming pile of **** that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to
> handle the file and video requirements.

It would appear that they have come up with a format that requires
even more computer power than most high end game computers
have. Most home users do not have a need for a computer as
powerful as what I have and it still can't get the job done.

Most people are running applications that do not need anything
more than a 2 GHz P4. There is no way that they are going to
replace their PC in order to play a movie.

Even the video card that they are specifying is more than Doom 3
needs and it really needs a fast card. I think that the launch of
these new formats is going to take a very long time before
the numbers amount to hardly anything.

Cyberlink already has a software player for both formats and
it would seem that the specs they have listed is what their
software needs in order to work properly. They also expect
you to have a high end monitor in order to get the full effect.

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/sup...equirement.jsp

AZ Nomad 09-09-2006 12:11 AM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:07:16 -0700, Alpha <none@none.net> wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <noemail@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:

>>>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
>>>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
>>>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
>>>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
>>>them in a relatively high-end PC.

>>>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
>>>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
>>>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
>>>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
>>>interested.

>> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
>> video;
>> a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
>> would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
>>
>> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
>> pile of **** that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file
>> and
>> video requirements.

>Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with HD.

That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.

NOT.

NoNoBadDog! 09-09-2006 02:22 AM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

<Larsonist84@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1157743852.573385.169380@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
> shopping for a new PC.
>
> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
>
> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
> will exceed your current system specs."

And if you had bothered to do any research, you would have know that it is
totally useless. The first version flagged all AMD processors as not ready
(which is completely bogus), and even now flags those models shipping with
Blue Ray drives as not being ready.

This app is totally worthless, not even worth the time or trouble to
download it.

Bobby

JoeBloe 09-09-2006 02:36 AM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, "Mark Jones"
<noemail@mindspring.com> Gave us:

>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
>them in a relatively high-end PC.
>
>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
>interested.

It is stupid. It said that I do not have an HDCP compliant display
and I do!

It put up a yellow flag on my CPU and it is a dual core AMD X2!

LAME... very lame.

Alpha 09-09-2006 02:37 AM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:07:16 -0700, Alpha <none@none.net> wrote:
>

>>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message

>>> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
>>> video;
>>> a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz
>>> p4
>>> would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
>>>
>>> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a
>>> steaming
>>> pile of **** that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the
>>> file
>>> and
>>> video requirements.

>>Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with
>>HD.

> That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.
>
> NOT.

NOT

Alotta Fagina 09-09-2006 02:42 AM

Re: Is your PC HD ready?

You wrote:

> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
> shopping for a new PC.
>
> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
>
> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
> will exceed your current system specs."

The primary problem will be that almost NO current video cards are HDCP-
compliant, and Vista will not play back HDCP content on them.