Velocity Reviews

-   -   VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t369365-vlan-on-catalyst-ws-c2916m-xl.html)

rzirzi 09-08-2006 12:56 PM

VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

Does this model with c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6
image support 802.1q vlan tagging? If yes,
how to enable it ?

rzirzi

Doug McIntyre 09-08-2006 01:47 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

"rzirzi" <rzirzi@bezspamu_wp.pl> writes:
>Does this model with c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6
>image support 802.1q vlan tagging? If yes,
>how to enable it ?

It would seem so according to http://www.cisco.com/public/473/43.html

Did this model have an enterprise model and a desktop model too like
the WS-C2924XL did?

Ie. the full part number WS-C2924-EN-XL supported VLAN trunking, while
the full part number WS-C2924-A-XL does not support VLAN trunking, and
you had to buy the upgrade up to the Enterprise version to get it to
do VLAN trunking. Since these switches have been EOL'd for years and
years, I doubt you could buy that license upgrade any longer.

rzirzi 09-08-2006 02:02 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

> Ie. the full part number WS-C2924-EN-XL supported VLAN trunking, while
> the full part number WS-C2924-A-XL does not support VLAN trunking, and
> you had to buy the upgrade up to the Enterprise version to get it to
> do VLAN trunking. Since these switches have been EOL'd for years and
> years, I doubt you could buy that license upgrade any longer.

Full part number is at the topic this post: WS-C2916M-XL
Does it support 8021.q? how to enable it?

rzirzi

www.BradReese.Com 09-08-2006 02:31 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

Hi rzirzi,

Catalyst 2900 series XL switches support the following trunking methods
for transmitting VLAN traffic over 100BaseT and Gigabit Ethernet ports:

Inter-Switch Link (ISL)

IEEE 802.1Q

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08007eba1.html

Configuring a Trunk Port

This section describes how to use the CLI to configure an ISL or IEEE
802.1Q trunk port, how to define the VLANs that can use a port, and how
to disable a trunk port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...l#xtocid180492

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

rzirzi 09-08-2006 03:26 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

> Catalyst 2900 series XL switches support the following trunking methods
> for transmitting VLAN traffic over 100BaseT and Gigabit Ethernet ports:
>
> Inter-Switch Link (ISL)
>
> IEEE 802.1Q

Thank you, but still i don't know why my switch does not
support 802.1q, could you help me please?
Some screenshots from console:

Switch>ena
Switch#sh ver
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-HS-M), Version 11.2(8.12)SA6, MAINTENANCE
INTERIM SOFTWARE
Compiled Fri 09-Apr-04 19:46 by antonino
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0020E310

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 0 minutes
System restarted by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via

cisco WS-C2916M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K
bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 0x0C, with hardware revision 0x00
Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
Cluster member switch capable
16 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

Switch#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)#int fastether 0/1
Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config-if)#switchport mode ?
access Set trunking mode to ACCESS unconditionally
multi Set trunking mode to multi-VLAN mode

best regards
rzirzi

www.BradReese.Com 09-08-2006 05:03 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

Hi rzirzi,

Apologize that BradReese.Com has no answer for you.

Please contact your local Cisco TAC Representative in Poland for
assistance:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-tac-c...ide.htm#POLAND

Sincerely and with apology,

Brad Reese
Cisco Authorized Distributors Worldwide
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-distributors.htm

Walter Roberson 09-08-2006 05:56 PM

Re: VLAN on catalyst WS-C2916M-XL

In article <eds29i$n5n$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>,
rzirzi <rzirzi@_bezspamu_wp.pl> wrote:

>Thank you, but still i don't know why my switch does not
>support 802.1q, could you help me please?
>Some screenshots from console:

>IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-HS-M), Version 11.2(8.12)SA6, MAINTENANCE
>INTERIM SOFTWARE
>System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via
>cisco WS-C2916M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K
>bytes of memory.
>Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...8009441a.shtml

WS-C2916M-XL is the only 4 MB switch that supports trunking at all,
but the table in "Important Notes" could be interpreted as indicating
that 802.1Q trunking is supported on the device only in
Standard Edition and not in Enterprise Edition (which would likely
be tighter on memory.).

The table there does imply that with your release you should be
able to do ISL trunking.