Velocity Reviews

-   -   ntp IOS Cisco 4506 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t369194-ntp-ios-cisco-4506-a.html)

tony 09-07-2006 05:24 PM

ntp IOS Cisco 4506

I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
server.

ntp peer timeserver
ntp server timeserver
ntp peer timeserver

sh clock
17:22:44.653 UTC Thu Sep 7 2006

Still shows time out of sync.

Do i have to reload for it to sync?

Walter Roberson 09-07-2006 05:31 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

In article <edpkkj$jsn$1@news.Stanford.EDU>, tony <none@none.com> wrote:
>I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
>server.

>ntp peer timeserver
>ntp server timeserver
>ntp peer timeserver

>Still shows time out of sync.

>Do i have to reload for it to sync?

If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
permit the ntp packets through.

tony 09-07-2006 05:33 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 09-07-2006 06:33 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

tony wrote:
> no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?
> "Walter Roberson" <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <edpkkj$jsn$1@news.Stanford.EDU>, tony <none@none.com> wrote:
> >>I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
> >>server.

> >>ntp peer timeserver
> >>ntp server timeserver
> >>ntp peer timeserver

> >>Still shows time out of sync.

> >>Do i have to reload for it to sync?

> > If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
> > permit the ntp packets through.

System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin"
cisco WS-C4506

R1#sh run | inc ntp

ntp update-calendar ! 4500 has battery backed clock, I think
! so update it from NTP. NOT ESSENTIAL.
ntp server 192.168.4.23 prefer
ntp server 192.168.6.23
R1#sh ntp ass

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
disp
+~192.168.4.23 x.15.9.3 5 39 64 377 0.8 149.13
3.6
*~192.168.6.23 x.15.9.3 4 8 64 377 1.1 164.20
13.4
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured

If you added manually anything like
ntp clock-period 17179223
delete it. It is computed automatically.

Beware windows 2000 and earlier had some problem with
its built in SNTP server and it did not work with Cisco.

Merv 09-07-2006 06:37 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

can you ping the NTP server ?

does debug ntp shows NTPpackets being transmittted and received ?

there have been IOS bugs that required removing all of the ntp commands
and then re-inputting them in order to getclock sync

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 09-07-2006 07:00 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

Merv wrote:
> can you ping the NTP server ?
>
> does debug ntp shows NTPpackets being transmittted and received ?
>
> there have been IOS bugs that required removing all of the ntp commands
> and then re-inputting them in order to getclock sync

If you had another router you could configure it
to be an NTP server.

R1#

conf t
ntp master 1

R2#
ntp server address-of-R1

For example -

R2#sh run | inc ntp server
ntp server 172.31.1.3

R2#sh ntp ass

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
disp
~172.31.1.3 0.0.0.0 16 44 64 0 0.0 0.00
16000.
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured

Note - no association indicated above.

e.g.
R1(config)#ntp master 1
R1(config)#^Z
R1#sh ntp ass

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
disp
*~127.127.7.1 .LOCL. 0 26 64 377 0.0 0.00
0.0
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured
R1#

Wait until NTP does it's thing. Best actually to remove
and re-install ntp config on R2 otherwise you may
have to wait a long time.

R2#sh ntp ass
address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
disp
*~172.31.1.3 .LOCL. 1 10 64 17 80.2 3.00
1883.9
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured
R2#

Note that we now have a "master" indicated by "*".

Thrill5 09-07-2006 08:40 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

<Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1157654020.363299.65060@i3g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com...

> tony wrote:
>> no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?
>> "Walter Roberson" <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message

>> > If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
>> > permit the ntp packets through.

> System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin"
> cisco WS-C4506
>
> R1#sh run | inc ntp
>
> ntp update-calendar ! 4500 has battery backed clock, I think
> ! so update it from NTP. NOT ESSENTIAL.
> ntp server 192.168.4.23 prefer
> ntp server 192.168.6.23
> R1#sh ntp ass
>
> address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
> disp
> +~192.168.4.23 x.15.9.3 5 39 64 377 0.8 149.13
> 3.6
> *~192.168.6.23 x.15.9.3 4 8 64 377 1.1 164.20
> 13.4
> * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
> configured
>
> If you added manually anything like
> ntp clock-period 17179223
> delete it. It is computed automatically.
>
> Beware windows 2000 and earlier had some problem with
> its built in SNTP server and it did not work with Cisco.

You are getting time from both time servers. You don't have your timezone
set on the switch (it is showing the time in UTC) so maybe you think the
time is off because it off by the number of hours from GMT? In any event
you should set the timezone properly on the switch. However, if this is not
the problem, how far off is the time? If it is off by a couple of hours, it
can literally take weeks, for it to sync up properly.

To fix this, set the correct timezone on switch, remove the NTP statements
from the config, remove any statements about "clock period", manually set
the time on the switch to within a couple of minutes, add the ntp server
statements back.

The time should sync up to a few milliseconds within an hour or two.

Scott

Dom 09-07-2006 10:42 PM

Re: ntp IOS Cisco 4506

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:24 -0700, tony wrote:
> I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
> server.

Here's from a 2950. Exact same config on the 1605r, too.

clock timezone CST -6
clock summer-time CDT recurring

ntp server 192.168.102.7
ntp server 192.168.102.1