Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t369080-newbie-question.html)

cooper.nicholas@gmail.com 09-07-2006 06:45 AM

Newbie question

Hi all sorry for the newbie question.

I have just started at a company and they have 2 cisco 800 routers
connected to our client.
The one is a using a dsl line and the other is a diginet. Is there any
way for me to find out the bandwidth of the lines.

voltron 09-07-2006 01:28 PM

Re: Newbie question

cooper.nicholas@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all sorry for the newbie question.
>
> I have just started at a company and they have 2 cisco 800 routers
> connected to our client.
> The one is a using a dsl line and the other is a diginet. Is there any
> way for me to find out the bandwidth of the lines.

run a speed test
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest
make sure u choose a server thats closest to you

chris 09-07-2006 04:00 PM

Re: Newbie question

<cooper.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1157611540.388553.230170@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi all sorry for the newbie question.
>
> I have just started at a company and they have 2 cisco 800 routers
> connected to our client.
> The one is a using a dsl line and the other is a diginet. Is there any
> way for me to find out the bandwidth of the lines.

Ask the provider nicely.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 09-07-2006 06:43 PM

Re: Newbie question

chris wrote:
> <cooper.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1157611540.388553.230170@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> > Hi all sorry for the newbie question.
> >
> > I have just started at a company and they have 2 cisco 800 routers
> > connected to our client.
> > The one is a using a dsl line and the other is a diginet. Is there any
> > way for me to find out the bandwidth of the lines.
> >

> Ask the provider nicely.

You should both of the above. I have also found that

temp#sh dsl int atm 0
Interleave Fast Interleave
Fast
Speed (kbps): 0 576 0

Seems to reasonably correctly show the "As advertised" speed.
This one is nominally 512 down, 256 up.

I have seen this on say a few tens of routers and have never found
a discrepancy. YMMV.

chris 09-07-2006 08:12 PM

Re: Newbie question

<Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1157654638.649734.40250@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

> chris wrote:
>> <cooper.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1157611540.388553.230170@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>> > Hi all sorry for the newbie question.
>> >
>> > I have just started at a company and they have 2 cisco 800 routers
>> > connected to our client.
>> > The one is a using a dsl line and the other is a diginet. Is there any
>> > way for me to find out the bandwidth of the lines.
>> >

>> Ask the provider nicely.

> You should both of the above. I have also found that
>
> temp#sh dsl int atm 0
> Interleave Fast Interleave
> Fast
> Speed (kbps): 0 576 0
> 288
>
> Seems to reasonably correctly show the "As advertised" speed.
> This one is nominally 512 down, 256 up.
>
> I have seen this on say a few tens of routers and have never found
> a discrepancy. YMMV.

This only gives the rate at which the router is connected to the DSLAM, not
the actual rate of the service. It's not unusual to have the DSLAM profile
set at say 3Mbps down but then traffic shaping applied on the BRAS for 512K,
1Meg, 2Meg and 3Meg services.

Chris.