Velocity Reviews

-   -   Basic questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t369006-basic-questions.html)

arell12 09-06-2006 08:17 PM

Basic questions

I have a few basic questions about using cisco routers. Hopefully
someone can answer these for me.

If i have a two locations with internet access through a local ISP and
i have an IPSEC tunnel connecting them what would I use a cisco router
for?

I understand that routers segment large networks and reduce network
traffic accross a LAN but what advantages do they provide over a WAN?

If I had multiple location all with High speed internet connections and
IPsec Tunnels what purpose would the cisco routers perform? I assume
that the answer tothis is to route traffic but what protocol would be
best to use?

I know that these might seem like basic questions but it will help me
get a better understanding of what these routers are fully capable of.

CCIE 15766 09-07-2006 03:39 AM

Re: Basic questions

arell12 wrote:
> I have a few basic questions about using cisco routers. Hopefully
> someone can answer these for me.
>
> If i have a two locations with internet access through a local ISP and
> i have an IPSEC tunnel connecting them what would I use a cisco router
> for?

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean. Could you plz describe
your question further?

> I understand that routers segment large networks and reduce network
> traffic accross a LAN but what advantages do they provide over a WAN?

Basically, a router provides interfaces for WAN connection (where a
switch does not), and it also provides many QoS services for WAN (which
may be unnecessary for LAN). Not to mention other advanced features.

> If I had multiple location all with High speed internet connections and
> IPsec Tunnels what purpose would the cisco routers perform? I assume
> that the answer tothis is to route traffic but what protocol would be
> best to use?

The routers can be used for routing and offloading IPSec processing.
You may run any routing protocol, or simply add some static routes.