Velocity Reviews

-   -   Signal Strength (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t368834-signal-strength.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?= 09-06-2006 06:21 AM

Signal Strength

We are Using a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card(GC89) as a modem(WLAN) in vb.net
(tablet PC)application. One of the requirement is to show
connection(GPRS/GSM) strength in the application while syncronization of
data. Default software that got installed with the card "Wireless Manager"
also has this feature.

Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and find
out the signal strength?

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

S. Pidgorny 09-06-2006 10:01 AM

Re: Signal Strength

You can do that using AT commands to the modem:

AT+CSQ

- oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think the
values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?= 09-06-2006 12:43 PM

Re: Signal Strength

Thanks for quick reply.

How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program it in
..net/vc++?

Can i talk to modem using NDIS?

S. Pidgorny 09-07-2006 08:47 AM

Re: Signal Strength

It is as reliable as the only information available from the modem. It's
text-based communication with com port you can program it using any
language, including Windows batch files (methinks). But you cannot use
NDIS - this is below on the OSI model.

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?= 09-07-2006 10:17 AM

Re: Signal Strength

If i am connected to modem and then try to issue signal command then its
returning status "error"

- Can i issue all AT commands once modem is already in use?

How windows getting this status in "Windows Zero Configuration" service? I
think it can retreive information from a device if its on iEEE 8.2.11
standard.. Would we be able to get signal strength, provider(GSM/GPRS)
information as well?

The easiest way could be if Sony is exposing API for that device, which we
are trying to get .. .

Any other way out instead of AT?

Thanks for all your help.

S. Pidgorny 09-10-2006 01:02 AM

Re: Signal Strength

I don't know how to use AT commands when modem session is connected.
Possibly you cannot.
WZC signal strength indication is different from GSM - as you rightly
pointed, the standards are different, so are Windows protocol stacks. As I
mentioned, the GSM/GPRS card is a serial port modem from Windows
perspective.
Using vendor's proprietary APIs is a ticket to trouble.

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?= 09-10-2006 08:14 AM

Re: Signal Strength

AT command issue is related with "Port". WE can't access the same port if its
already being used. If there is way to do that then there is no problem.

Is there any way if i can intercept their default application "Wireless
Manager" data; some hooking ..? Like i can see their window handle, actual
message signature using spy++; can i use this handle/message to get my
required data?

or i may communicate with driver at user/kernal mode?