Velocity Reviews

-   -   BGP - route-map matching clients IP. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t368782-bgp-route-map-matching-clients-ip.html)

Jarek Jarzebowski 09-05-2006 10:39 PM

BGP - route-map matching clients IP.

Hi all,

I have cisco router connected with BGP to 3 peers. Is it possible to use
route-map that will choose (set up) route to specific peer depending on
source or destination ip address?

If so I will be gratefull for any example.

Regards,
Jarek

Nicolaj Kamensek 09-06-2006 03:09 AM

Re: BGP - route-map matching clients IP.

Jarek Jarzebowski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have cisco router connected with BGP to 3 peers. Is it possible to use
> route-map that will choose (set up) route to specific peer depending on
> source or destination ip address?
>
> If so I will be gratefull for any example.

Hi,

sure it is. It's called policy or source-based-routing. You may apply a
route-map to one or more of your interfaces like this:

route-map Next-Hop-XY permit 5
match ip address 50 // access-list
set ip next-hop a.b.c.d // the bgp peer's IP-address

Then you just assign the route-map to a specific interface like this:

interface ethernet 1/1
port-name ABC
ip address ...
ip policy route-map Next-Hop-XY

But be careful with that: when the specified peer is down, the source IP
will loose worldwide ip-connectivity.

Best regards,
Nicolaj Kamensek

Jarek Jarzebowski 09-06-2006 05:36 PM

On 2006-09-06 05:09 Nicolaj Kamensek wrote:
> Jarek Jarzebowski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have cisco router connected with BGP to 3 peers. Is it possible to
>> use route-map that will choose (set up) route to specific peer
>> depending on source or destination ip address?
>>
>> If so I will be gratefull for any example.

> Hi,
>
> sure it is. It's called policy or source-based-routing. You may apply a
> route-map to one or more of your interfaces like this:
>
> route-map Next-Hop-XY permit 5
> match ip address 50 // access-list
> set ip next-hop a.b.c.d // the bgp peer's IP-address
>

> Then you just assign the route-map to a specific interface like this:
>
> interface ethernet 1/1
> port-name ABC
> ip address ...
> ip policy route-map Next-Hop-XY
>

> But be careful with that: when the specified peer is down, the source IP
> will loose worldwide ip-connectivity.
>
> Best regards,
> Nicolaj Kamensek

Hi Nicolaj,

thanks for explanations. Now all is clear for me.

Jarek