Velocity Reviews

-   -   debug ip packet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t368155-debug-ip-packet.html)

J Anderia 09-01-2006 11:56 PM

debug ip packet

I like to use the debug packet ip detail command to troubleshoot but even when I use it
with an access list, the show log command captures everything, not just what I've put in
the acess list. Is there a way to get only what I want in the log buffer? This is what
I'm doing:

Log onto router - A 3660 running IOS 12.3(6)a

1. Configure an access list:
access-list 150 permit tcp host 10.10.59.59 host 192.168.25.14 eq smtp
access-list 150 permit tcp host 192.168.25.14 host 10.10.59.59 established

2. Turn on debug:
debug ip packet detail 150
**(note, I've also tried a variation, debug ip packet 150 detail)

3. Telnet to port 25 from the host, 10.10.59.59

4. Run a 'show log' command on the router to look at the log

Instead of just seeing the traffic between the two hosts in the access list, I see a
multitude of traffic from other hosts. Am I doing something wrong here? I would love to
be able to only see the narrowed down traffic that I've specified in my access list.

Thanks!

lfnetworking 09-02-2006 12:07 AM

Re: debug ip packet

J Anderia wrote:
> I like to use the debug packet ip detail command to troubleshoot but even when I use it
> with an access list, the show log command captures everything, not just what I've put in
> the acess list. Is there a way to get only what I want in the log buffer? This is what
> I'm doing:
>
> Log onto router - A 3660 running IOS 12.3(6)a
>
> 1. Configure an access list:
> access-list 150 permit tcp host 10.10.59.59 host 192.168.25.14 eq smtp
> access-list 150 permit tcp host 192.168.25.14 host 10.10.59.59 established
>
> 2. Turn on debug:
> debug ip packet detail 150
> **(note, I've also tried a variation, debug ip packet 150 detail)
>
> 3. Telnet to port 25 from the host, 10.10.59.59
>
> 4. Run a 'show log' command on the router to look at the log
>
> Instead of just seeing the traffic between the two hosts in the access list, I see a
> multitude of traffic from other hosts. Am I doing something wrong here? I would love to
> be able to only see the narrowed down traffic that I've specified in my access list.
>
> Thanks!

watch the debug in your terminal in exec mode, no need to look at logs -
use the "term mon" command . sounds like you have terminal logging on
as well

J Anderia 09-02-2006 12:23 AM

Re: debug ip packet

Thanks for the quick reply! I have tried that and I still get all the unwanted traffic
showing up on the terminal. Any way to limit the traffic so it doesn't scroll off the
screen too quickly when I'm trying to troubleshoot?

Barry Margolin 09-02-2006 01:42 AM

Re: debug ip packet

In article <qehhf2pjneo58u92buheetguft6d3nj92a@4ax.com>,
J Anderia <tavani@comcast.net> wrote:

> I like to use the debug packet ip detail command to troubleshoot but even
> when I use it
> with an access list, the show log command captures everything, not just what
> I've put in
> the acess list. Is there a way to get only what I want in the log buffer?
> This is what
> I'm doing:
>
> Log onto router - A 3660 running IOS 12.3(6)a
>
> 1. Configure an access list:
> access-list 150 permit tcp host 10.10.59.59 host 192.168.25.14 eq smtp
> access-list 150 permit tcp host 192.168.25.14 host 10.10.59.59 established

Are you sure there wasn't already an access-list 150? If there was, you
just added to the end of it, you didn't replace it. Type

no access-list 150

before configuring the ACL, to ensure that it starts out empty.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

J Anderia 09-02-2006 01:55 AM

Re: debug ip packet

I did confirm that there was no other access-list 150 before I created it. A "show run |
inc list 150" confirms this for me now also.

Could this be a bug with IOS 12.3(6)a? I'm guessing I am supposesd to see filtered
results and not everything going through, is this correct?

J Anderia 09-02-2006 02:00 AM

Re: debug ip packet

Actually, the exact IOS is c3660-ik9o3s-mz.123-6a for what it's worth.

Barry Margolin 09-02-2006 02:04 AM

Re: debug ip packet

In article <q0phf2tc9ias2fnnbd3csmn3lr24f3ool2@4ax.com>,
J Anderia <tavani@comcast.net> wrote:

> I did confirm that there was no other access-list 150 before I created it. A
> "show run |
> inc list 150" confirms this for me now also.

That's a convoluted way to do "show access-list 150", isn't it?

> Could this be a bug with IOS 12.3(6)a? I'm guessing I am supposesd to see
> filtered
> results and not everything going through, is this correct?

Yes. It always worked for me, but it's been a few years and IOS
versions since I worked on Ciscos.

J Anderia 09-02-2006 02:41 AM

Re: debug ip packet

Ha! Yes, it is a convoluted way to show the list. I suppose I'm just a little too much
'include' happy. :-)

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 09-02-2006 11:13 AM

Re: debug ip packet

J Anderia wrote:
> Ha! Yes, it is a convoluted way to show the list. I suppose I'm just a little too much
> 'include' happy. :-)
>
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:04:55 -0400, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> >In article <q0phf2tc9ias2fnnbd3csmn3lr24f3ool2@4ax.com>,
> > J Anderia <tavani@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I did confirm that there was no other access-list 150 before I created it. A
> >> "show run |
> >> inc list 150" confirms this for me now also.

> >That's a convoluted way to do "show access-list 150", isn't it?
> >

> >> Could this be a bug with IOS 12.3(6)a? I'm guessing I am supposesd to see
> >> filtered
> >> results and not everything going through, is this correct?

> >Yes. It always worked for me, but it's been a few years and IOS
> >versions since I worked on Ciscos.

Firstly:-

access-list 150 permit tcp host 10.10.59.59 host 192.168.25.14
eq smtp
access-list 150 permit tcp host 192.168.25.14 host 10.10.59.59
established

In a /normal/ access list that was filtering interface traffic
the "established" keyword effectively stops TCP sessions
from starting by blocking the initial SYN packet which does not
have the ACK bit (or RST) bit set.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080431049.html
"The established keyword is used only for the TCP protocol to
indicate an established connection. A match occurs if the TCP
datagram has the ACK or RST bits set, which indicate that the
packet belongs to an existing connection."

In a debug ACL it won't block the whole session from the
debug processing.

I am not clear what exactly the issue is since you have
not given an example of exactly what is getting through
that you don't think should be.

Please post an example packet.

I have never seen debug behave in this way.

Merv 09-02-2006 11:37 AM

Re: debug ip packet

you can also enable the internal logging buffer

check how much free memory the router has with sh memory command

Router# show memory

Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b)
Largest(b)

Processor B0EE38 5181896 2210036 2971860 2692456
2845368

on most system should be able to spare 20K, so configure:

conf t
logging buffer 20000 debugging
no logging coneol
end