Velocity Reviews

-   -   javac command not working in command prompt (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t367995-javac-command-not-working-in-command-prompt.html)

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 08:22 AM

javac command not working in command prompt

Hi guys,
I have just installed SDK 1.4.2 and i am following the
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...ava/win32.html
tourial.
I tried installing version JDK 6 beta 2 but the javac command in
command prompt did not work, i still have the same problem with SDK
1.4.2
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Chris

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 08:25 AM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

I will try JDK 5.0 Update 8 later when the site so busy that i cannot
download it

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 08:44 AM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

That didn't work

TechBookReport 09-01-2006 08:49 AM

chrisdude911 wrote:
> That didn't work
> chrisdude911 wrote:
>> I will try JDK 5.0 Update 8 later when the site so busy that i cannot
>> download it
>> chrisdude911 wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>> I have just installed SDK 1.4.2 and i am following the
>>> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...ava/win32.html
>>> tourial.
>>> I tried installing version JDK 6 beta 2 but the javac command in
>>> command prompt did not work, i still have the same problem with SDK
>>> 1.4.2
>>> Can anyone help?
>>> Thanks
>>> Chris

What do you mean, 'does not work'? Are you getting compile errors, file
not found errors or something else? What platform are you on?

If you're running on Windows and are getting: 'javac' is not recognized
as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'
Then it's most likely a path issue.

--
TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 08:59 AM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

C:\Java>javac HelloWorldApp.java
'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

that is the message, i have put C:\Program
Files\JAVA\jdk1.5.0_08\bin\javac into the PATH but it is still not
working

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 09:02 AM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

i also tried C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin\
and that didn't work

TechBookReport 09-01-2006 09:20 AM

chrisdude911 wrote:
> i also tried C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin\
> and that didn't work
> chrisdude911 wrote:
>> C:\Java>javac HelloWorldApp.java
>> 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file.
>>
>> that is the message, i have put C:\Program
>> Files\JAVA\jdk1.5.0_08\bin\javac into the PATH but it is still not
>> working
>>
>> TechBookReport wrote:
>>> What do you mean, 'does not work'? Are you getting compile errors, file
>>> not found errors or something else? What platform are you on?
>>>
>>> If you're running on Windows and are getting: 'javac' is not recognized
>>> as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'
>>> Then it's most likely a path issue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

OK, open a command prompt, navigate to the bin directory and just type
javac. If you get a screen full of options then there's nothing wrong
with the install. Also, try using the full path to the javac.exe in your
compile command.

--
TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

chrisdude911 09-01-2006 09:20 AM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

Don't Worry now
Simpe error i forgot to restart command prompt!
we learn a new thing every day!
Thanks
Chris

TrevorBoydSmith@gmail.com 09-01-2006 01:47 PM

Re: javac command not working in command prompt

to get windows/linux/etc etc to recognize a new command you have to
tell the OS where the command .exe is present. To do this you have to
change the environment variable. Search on google for: environment
variables java classpath

On windows --> control panel --> system --> advanced tab -->
environment variables button --> then you have to change both the
"path" and "classpath" environment variables

make sure to NOT delete the path environment variable or you are kinda
screwed.

carnado2008 03-05-2009 08:54 AM

Solving javac command not working in command prompt

Step 1:Get into Environment Variables. I hope you know how to find it.

Step 2:Find 4 variables below:-
a) classpath
b) include
c) lib
d) path

If you can't find it...just create it...and for it's value...let it empty for a while...

Step 3:Find location of your java.exe
For example : C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\java.exe

Step 4:Copy all word before java.exe
So, what i must copy is : C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\

Step 5:Get into Environment Variables again
Now, for each variables that i have listed...add word in parentheses (.;) at the beginning of their Variable value.If it empty, just add .; into it...

Step 6:For each Variable value in each 4 listed variables, add a semicolon(;) at the end and paste what you copy in Step 4.If ; exist, don't create it again...just paste what you copy in Step 4 after it...

Step 7:Now restart your computer and check if you still get the error message.

Step 8:If it still show the error message...get into Environment Variables again, go
to each 4 variables that i have listed...and add double quotes (") between all word that you copy in Step 4.
For example :
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\"

Step 9:Repeat Step 7