Velocity Reviews

-   -   login and password (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t367472-login-and-password.html)

lrantisi@gmail.com 08-30-2006 01:58 AM

login and password

Since I began to study for CCNA I have seen the commands (login) and
(passwords) in different orders.

Sometimes I see it like this

#login
#password cisco

and sometimes I see it in the opposite order

#password cisco
#login

What is everyone used for.

www.BradReese.Com 08-30-2006 02:40 AM

Re: login and password

You may also wish to investigate Default Logins and Passwords for
Networked Devices:

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/ar...kedDevices.php

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Product Quick Reference Guides, CPQRG
http://www.bradreese.com/refurbished...duct-guide.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power...-inventory.htm

Barry Margolin 08-30-2006 04:59 AM

Re: login and password

In article <1156903108.846137.47480@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
"lrantisi@gmail.com" <lrantisi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I began to study for CCNA I have seen the commands (login) and
> (passwords) in different orders.
>
> Sometimes I see it like this
>
> #login
> #password cisco
>
> and sometimes I see it in the opposite order
>
> #password cisco
> #login
>
> What is everyone used for.

The order of configuration options generally doesn't matter. The only
time order matters is when a command establishes a new context; commands
that apply to the context have to appear after it. E.g.

router rip
redistribute static

is not the same as

redistribute static
router rip

because "redistribute" applies to the specific router context it appears
within. Since "login" nor "password" both apply to the line context
they appear in, all that matters is that they both appear after the
"line" command, but the relative order of them doesn't matter.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 08-30-2006 05:05 AM

Re: login and password

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <1156903108.846137.47480@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
> "lrantisi@gmail.com" <lrantisi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Since I began to study for CCNA I have seen the commands (login) and
> > (passwords) in different orders.
> >
> > Sometimes I see it like this
> >
> > #login
> > #password cisco
> >
> > and sometimes I see it in the opposite order
> >
> > #password cisco
> > #login
> >
> > What is everyone used for.

> The order of configuration options generally doesn't matter. The only
> time order matters is when a command establishes a new context; commands
> that apply to the context have to appear after it. E.g.
>
> router rip
> redistribute static
>
> is not the same as
>
> redistribute static
> router rip
>
> because "redistribute" applies to the specific router context it appears
> within. Since "login" nor "password" both apply to the line context
> they appear in, all that matters is that they both appear after the
> "line" command, but the relative order of them doesn't matter.

I agree with Barry.

It doesn't matter in this case the order that you
put the commands in. The router will though always
display them in some particular order no matter what
order you use to put them in. The order may I guess vary
with software versions but in general that is very unusual.

In the case of some other commands such as access-list
entries the order of entry is preserved in the configuration
since in that case the order does affect the behaviour.