Velocity Reviews

-   -   IDLE on Mac OS X (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t366996-idle-on-mac-os-x.html)

Furbybrain 08-27-2006 08:24 PM

IDLE on Mac OS X

I'm running 10.3.9 and I've just installed Python 2.4. IDLE won't start-
it bounces in the dock once or twice then goes away.
I'm new to Python, and I'm trying to learn. Thanks.

Bill Hale 08-27-2006 09:28 PM

Re: IDLE on Mac OS X

In article <MbnIg.65514$fV1.23660@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk >,
Furbybrain <furbybrain@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm running 10.3.9 and I've just installed Python 2.4. IDLE won't start-
> it bounces in the dock once or twice then goes away.
> I'm new to Python, and I'm trying to learn. Thanks.

You might want to open the console window by running the application
"Console" found in the Applications/Utilities folder. An error message
may be there indicating what the problem is.

-- Bill Hael

Kevin Walzer 08-27-2006 10:03 PM

Re: IDLE on Mac OS X

Furbybrain wrote:
> I'm running 10.3.9 and I've just installed Python 2.4. IDLE won't start-
> it bounces in the dock once or twice then goes away.
> I'm new to Python, and I'm trying to learn. Thanks.

You need to install Tcl/Tk--it doesn't come with 10.3 by default. Get a
Panther-compatible version at http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net.

--
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code

Furbybrain 08-28-2006 06:44 PM

Re: IDLE on Mac OS X

Furbybrain wrote:
> I'm running 10.3.9 and I've just installed Python 2.4. IDLE won't start-
> it bounces in the dock once or twice then goes away.
> I'm new to Python, and I'm trying to learn. Thanks.

** IDLE can't import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **
I'm installing TK like Kevin said. Thanks!