Velocity Reviews

-   -   Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t366919-add-wireless-access-point-to-existing-wireless-router.html)

Pegleg 08-27-2006 04:24 AM

Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router?

I currently have a Netgear WGR614 Router installed. It feeds two
desktops and one laptop via Cat5 and two laptops wirelessly all on
XP-Home.

I want to increase coverage of the wireless portion...can I do this by
connecting a wireless access point to the existing router via Cat5?

If so how does the access point get configured into the existing
network?

TIA

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops,
Question The Policy!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill

Malke 08-27-2006 12:17 PM

Re: Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router?

Pegleg wrote:

> I currently have a Netgear WGR614 Router installed. It feeds two
> desktops and one laptop via Cat5 and two laptops wirelessly all on
> XP-Home.
>
> I want to increase coverage of the wireless portion...can I do this by
> connecting a wireless access point to the existing router via Cat5?
>
> If so how does the access point get configured into the existing
> network?

You don't want to add an access point; you want to add a range extender.
See:

http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Pegleg 08-27-2006 02:52 PM

Re: Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 05:17:27 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>You don't want to add an access point; you want to add a range extender.
>See:
>
>http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Thanks for the post but they don't seem to have much that is compatible
with Netgear hardware.

Malke 08-27-2006 03:07 PM

Pegleg wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 05:17:27 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>You don't want to add an access point; you want to add a range
>>extender. See:
>>
>>http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

> Thanks for the post but they don't seem to have much that is
> compatible with Netgear hardware.

Google is your friend.

Results 1 - 10 of about 296,000 for range extender Netgear. (0.16
seconds)

And please fix your signature. It should have a signature delimiter to
start with and be no more than 4 lines:
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

Malke

GTS 08-27-2006 05:54 PM

"Pegleg" <brian.pegleg.jones@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a Netgear WGR614 Router installed. It feeds two
> desktops and one laptop via Cat5 and two laptops wirelessly all on
> XP-Home.
>
> I want to increase coverage of the wireless portion...can I do this by
> connecting a wireless access point to the existing router via Cat5?
>
> If so how does the access point get configured into the existing
> network?
>
> TIA

Yes. You can add an additional WAP or alternatively use a range extender.
(We do that all the time in office buildings.)
If you add an additional WAP, it is best to assign it a fixed IP address
within the subnet of your wireless router but outside it's DHCP range. It
should use the same SSID but a different channel. (1,6, and 11 are the
three discreet choices). If the WAP has a DHCP server option (some do and
some don't), turn it off. This kind of configuration is the typical set up
for wireless roaming.

The choice between an additional WAP or range extender would consider issues
like price and relative difficulty of running an Ethernet cable to the
secondary location.

Pegleg 08-27-2006 07:17 PM

Re: Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:07:00 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>And please fix your signature. It should have a signature delimiter to
>start with and be no more than 4 lines:
>http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

N.B.
This is a sensible and commendable restriction. But contrary to the
common belief and frequent claims its nature is that of a
recommendation.

Pegleg 08-28-2006 02:36 PM

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:54:11 -0400, "GTS" <x> wrote:

>The choice between an additional WAP or range extender would consider issues
>like price and relative difficulty of running an Ethernet cable to the
>secondary location.

Which works better? The Cat 5 run will only be about 30 feet.

GTS 08-28-2006 03:18 PM

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:54:11 -0400, "GTS" <x> wrote:
>
>>The choice between an additional WAP or range extender would consider
>>issues
>>like price and relative difficulty of running an Ethernet cable to the
>>secondary location.

> Which works better? The Cat 5 run will only be about 30 feet.
>

> Pegleg

If wiring isn't a problem for you, I would go with the secondary WAP. I
haven't worked a lot with range extenders, but what I have seen (and read)
of them is a mixed picture. Reliability and speed may vary considerably
depending on the quality of the AC power line. They're most commonly used
only if running an Ethernet cable is too costly or difficult.

Pegleg 08-28-2006 04:18 PM

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:18:45 -0400, "GTS" <x> wrote:

>If wiring isn't a problem for you, I would go with the secondary WAP. I
>haven't worked a lot with range extenders, but what I have seen (and read)
>of them is a mixed picture. Reliability and speed may vary considerably
>depending on the quality of the AC power line. They're most commonly used
>only if running an Ethernet cable is too costly or difficult.

Thanks much!

GTS 08-28-2006 07:16 PM

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:18:45 -0400, "GTS" <x> wrote:
>

>>If wiring isn't a problem for you, I would go with the secondary WAP. I
>>haven't worked a lot with range extenders, but what I have seen (and read)
>>of them is a mixed picture. Reliability and speed may vary considerably
>>depending on the quality of the AC power line. They're most commonly used
>>only if running an Ethernet cable is too costly or difficult.
>>

> Thanks much!
>
> Pegleg

You're welcome.