Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can two versions of Firefox be installed? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t366879-can-two-versions-of-firefox-be-installed.html)

KN_____@cast.com 08-26-2006 09:01 PM

Can two versions of Firefox be installed?

While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?

KN

gwtc 08-26-2006 09:57 PM

Re: Can two versions of Firefox be installed?

KN_____@cast.com wrote:
> While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
> like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
> FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
>
> KN

I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
someone else to hold them while you chop away.

KN_____@cast.com 08-27-2006 01:59 AM

Re: Can two versions of Firefox be installed?

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
<TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

>KN_____@cast.com wrote:
>> While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
>> like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
>> FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
>>
>> KN
>>

>I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
>into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
> And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
overwriting the other one, since they default to
c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....

I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
firefox.exe -p
I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
What the heck happened to it?

This sure is getting confusing....

KN

gwtc 08-27-2006 03:44 AM

KN_____@cast.com wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
> <TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
>
>> KN_____@cast.com wrote:
>>> While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
>>> like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
>>> FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
>>>
>>> KN
>>>

>> I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
>> into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
>> And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
> overwriting the other one, since they default to
> c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....

each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

> I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
> I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
> firefox.exe -p
> I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
> with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
> created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
> and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
> What the heck happened to it?

when you created that profile, did you start FF? You must start FF in
order for the files to be created.

KN_____@cast.com 08-28-2006 10:44 PM

Re: Can two versions of Firefox be installed?

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
<TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

>KN_____@cast.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
>> <TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

>>> I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
>>> into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
>>> And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
>> overwriting the other one, since they default to
>> c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....
>>

>each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

OK, Thanks

I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
Not sure why?

>> I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
>> I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
>> firefox.exe -p
>> I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
>> with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
>> created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
>> and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
>> What the heck happened to it?
>>

>when you created that profile, did you start FF? You must start FF in
>order for the files to be created.

OK, thats where that error occurred. It was not open, just that
profile window.

Since all of this, I have completely removed every trace of all
versions of Firefox, and profiles. I then used several of my registry
cleaners, and also manually went thru the registry to delete all
traces of firefox. The only thing I saved were my bookmarks.
I plan to reinstall from scratch, (both versions).

Thanks for the help

KN

gwtc 08-28-2006 11:07 PM

KN_____@cast.com wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
> <TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
>
>> KN_____@cast.com wrote:

>>> Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
>>> overwriting the other one, since they default to
>>> c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....
>>>

>> each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

> OK, Thanks
>
> I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
> Not sure why?

in the days gone by, the name of the program before FF was Phoenix. I
believe they just kept the name until the 1.0.x days.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a
few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use
a timer.

FoxWolfie Galen 08-29-2006 02:00 AM

Re: Can two versions of Firefox be installed?

On 29 Aug 2006 01:07:55 +0200, gwtc <TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn>
wrote:

> KN_____@cast.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
> > <TheNewGWTC@4iVWMRLYahp.U7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
> > Not sure why?

> in the days gone by, the name of the program before FF was Phoenix. I
> believe they just kept the name until the 1.0.x days.

My old version of Firefox 0.8 created both a Phoenix and a Mozilla
directory. One was always empty and always returned if deleted. I always
figured it was a leftover in the installer at the time. Either that, or the
phoenix just wanted to keep rising up from its ashes. The first release
candidate of 1.0 put an end to that.

I started with Phoenix 0.5, went through Firebird 0.6 and 0.7, then Firefox
starting with 0.8. Luckily, I still have backups of 0.8 through 0.9.3 as
those versions don't seem to exist on the mozilla website any more.

0.1 through 0.5
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...enix/releases/
0.6 through 0.7.1
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...bird/releases/
1.0rc1 through current (missing 0.8 through 0.9.3)
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...efox/releases/

It's not like I'll ever go back and use any of the old versions, since the
latest works quite well, even on my ancient system.