Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fw: Is this a good idea or a waste of time? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t366595-fw-is-this-a-good-idea-or-a-waste-of-time.html)

Hendrik van Rooyen 08-25-2006 08:53 AM

"Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro@yahoo.com> wrote:

8<-------------------------------------------------------------

| BTW, speaking of "strictness", "more stricter" is invalid English,
| just "stricter" is the "correct" form. ;-)

or alternatively the construct "more strict" is also acceptable - Hendrik

Simon Forman 08-25-2006 07:45 PM

Re: Fw: Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> "Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> 8<-------------------------------------------------------------
>
> | BTW, speaking of "strictness", "more stricter" is invalid English,
> | just "stricter" is the "correct" form. ;-)
>
> or alternatively the construct "more strict" is also acceptable - Hendrik

It is, but technically it's not. English is more bizarrer that that..
It depends or the number of syllables in the word: one or two, add
'-er'; three or more (or if the two-syllable-er word "sounds lame"),
use "more"...

English, the perl of natural languages.. lol (Apparently Dutch is
pretty weird too..)

Peace,
~Simon

Hendrik van Rooyen 08-26-2006 08:41 AM

Re: Fw: Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

"Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro@yahoo.com> Wrote:

| Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
| > "Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro@yahoo.com> wrote:
| >
| > 8<-------------------------------------------------------------
| >
| > | BTW, speaking of "strictness", "more stricter" is invalid English,
| > | just "stricter" is the "correct" form. ;-)
| >
| > or alternatively the construct "more strict" is also acceptable - Hendrik
|
| It is, but technically it's not. English is more bizarrer that that..

LOL!

| It depends or the number of syllables in the word: one or two, add
| '-er'; three or more (or if the two-syllable-er word "sounds lame"),
| use "more"...
|
| English, the perl of natural languages.. lol (Apparently Dutch is
| pretty weird too..)
|
| Peace,
| ~Simon

*grin* my Dutch is Dangerous - its actually Afrikaans - a highly simplified
variant that is poison to good Dutch...

I like the rule about the syllables - would never remember it in the heat of
battle though...

- Hendrik