Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird sends links to another browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t366248-thunderbird-sends-links-to-another-browser.html)

praf 08-23-2006 09:11 PM

Thunderbird sends links to another browser

Hi, something happened today: when I click on a link contained in an
email instead of opening the Firefox, it opens the Konqueror. Firefox is
set as the default browser and it checks it every time it starts.

Can anybody give a hint of what happened?

Charani 08-24-2006 01:56 PM

Re: Thunderbird sends links to another browser

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:11:49 -0400, praf wrote:

> Hi, something happened today: when I click on a link contained in an
> email instead of opening the Firefox, it opens the Konqueror. Firefox is
> set as the default browser and it checks it every time it starts.
>
> Can anybody give a hint of what happened?

Don't know why it happened but try setting the Konqueror as the
default browser, reboot, set Firefox as the default browser, reboot.
That's worked for me when IE and OE decided *they* were going to be
the defaults and I decided they weren't. They lost.

praf 08-24-2006 03:31 PM

Charani wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:11:49 -0400, praf wrote:
>
>> Hi, something happened today: when I click on a link contained in an
>> email instead of opening the Firefox, it opens the Konqueror. Firefox is
>> set as the default browser and it checks it every time it starts.
>>
>> Can anybody give a hint of what happened?

> Don't know why it happened but try setting the Konqueror as the
> default browser, reboot, set Firefox as the default browser, reboot.
> That's worked for me when IE and OE decided *they* were going to be
> the defaults and I decided they weren't. They lost.

thanks for the hint. somebody in a linux group posted this solution that
worked for me. i use kubuntu.

Credit goes to Dan C. for providing this answer:

Ignore my prior post - I missed the "thunderbird" part. Try this:
1. Make sure Thunderbird is NOT running.
2. Edit ~/.thunderbird/mnew2yhb.default/prefs.js
(Note: the "mnew2yhb.default" above is for my system, yours will be
different).
3. Add these lines:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox");

You may need to adjust the path/filename for Firefox, on some systems it's
called "firefox" instead of "mozilla-firefox".